v6 Broken motor mount--safe to drive home? hard to fix?....

looking at buying this 89 v6 tomorrow, all in all ok unit, rough/vibration at idle or low speed when in drive (not in neutral), seems pretty smooth when at higher speeds. plus the motor 'jumps' visibly when turned on with the hood up looking at it. Think i have it narrowed to a broken motor mount. safe to drive it 4 hrs? risk of a second mount braking?..... easy to get at? /easy to fix....  parts available?

I think I would want to know why it's vibrating they were known to have head gasket issues and tight valve clearance. Tight valves left alone will also burn valves. An issue like that is a lot worse than a broken motor mount. Mounts normally break on the drivers side put it in drive give it a little gas then see if the engine lifts if it's broken it will come down pretty hard when you let off the gas.

the way I have checked a motor mount is to get a helper, have the helper put in a forward gear, hold the brakes FIRMLY (preferably with chocks on all wheels and a clear path in the front and rear) and rev the motor.  Do the same in reverse.  If a motor mount is broken, the engine will rise up on that side.  Reverse tests one side and forward the other.e 

I would consider carefully driving the vehicle on a ferry trip. 

Typically motor mounts are not hard to repair.  it is about access and I have not looked at mine closely with that in mind.  I have changed them on a dodge van once.  It was not a big deal.  Used a jack to raise the engine off the broken side - removed the 2 parts of the broken mount - put the new mount in place and lower the engine in place. a few bolts/ nuts holds it in place,

Edited by DanAatTheCape