Framework in a 1992 Itasca Spirit??

LittleShack

As we have discovered that paying professionals to repair the cab over bed base on our RV is out of the budget, I'm now intently researching all I will need to know to do the work myself, with my hubby's help. I haven't been able to find anything about the inner framework on a Winnebago built model. The guy at the RV repair shop mentioned that Winnies have aluminium frames, which makes them easier to repair due to the frame itself not rotting.  But, I haven't found anything that mentions that online. Does anyone know or know where I can find this info? Thanks!

For me RV repair shops are the last place to go and an act of desperation, Camping World seems to get the worse reviews. 

I do not see aluminum frame listed in your micro Spirit??  

http://winnebagoind.com/resources/brochure/1990/90-Spirit-bro.pdf

There are a 1000 you tube videos to help you repair. 

AFAIK, Winnebagos (and Itascas) were built with 'SIPS' and as such don't have a 'frame' in the traditional sense. Build with a 'sandwich' of Filon (TM) + insulation + lauan, they're held together with the angles, strips and screws seen in the photos in your other post. I assume the screws go into wood (but maybe only the 1/8" lauan).

Construction 1.jpg

pretty sure the cabover is all wood. The metal in the back is basic framing.    You need someone who likes working with wood - if you search around this forum you can find several examples where people have done the job.   Lots of time and some investment in material.   If you a not a craftsman (with the time) or have a relative or friend, sounds like you might be totaled,  Here is a pic of a wrecked 92 spirit (the semi truck "won"). 

P1000828(1).JPG

On 2/25/2018 at 4:37 PM, DanAatTheCape said:

pretty sure the cabover is all wood. The metal in the back is basic framing.    You need someone who likes working with wood - if you search around this forum you can find several examples where people have done the job.   Lots of time and some investment in material.   If you a not a craftsman (with the time) or have a relative or friend, sounds like you might be totaled,  Here is a pic of a wrecked 92 spirit (the semi truck "won"). 

P1000828(1).JPG

This literally made me feel sick! How awful!! But thanks for sharing. I can see where there is some metal framing on the edges.

On 2/26/2018 at 3:36 AM, wonderabout said:

Yes your 92 should have an aluminum frame work on the sides only. I beleive it is 1.5" square. Hope this photo helps. Look on the right side, you see two angles supporting the door frame

DSC03380.JPG

This is great! Thanks! I can see now how things look underneath it all and it gives me a much better idea of what  I'll need to deal with as I go about this project. I have already begun removing the wet wood at the front. It seems to be, at this point anyways, fairly contained to the area in front of the metal joint that goes from one side to the other. I am hoping for the best, but want to be prepared for the worst. Your input and advice is much appreciated.

On 2/25/2018 at 4:40 PM, DanAatTheCape said:

here is a link I found a thread I found right below yours...   http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/8424-soaked-rotting/

Thanks for the link. I've read through it and it has been very helpful.