How do I find out what Transmission I have?! 1988 Dolphin

It looks like I need a new transmission.  Its been acting up lately, and recently its gotten to the point where I hope I can limp it to the repair shop.  Problem is - I don't know what transmission I have, and the vehicle VIN picked up a manual for some reason...  

I have a 4 SP auto (OD), but not sure what model was used in these trucks.  Any one got some knowledge?

Boz

Not sure what year you have but there should be a label or plate in the engine compartment that lists the engine size,trans type and rear axle I.D.

Sorry, just noticed it’s an 88.

Edited by fred heath

• 1 month later...

The AW71 and AW71L was a strengthened version of the AW70 transmission used in the Volvo 760940, and some 740s and 240s with turbocharged and higher-output naturally aspirated engines. Some have been seen in 1985-87 240s with the B230F engine. Also was used in late model European-spec Volvo 260 series cars. North American market Volvo 260cars used the Borg Warner Type 55 transmission.

Identical to the Toyota A43D and A43DL except with different tailshaft housings and tailshaft flanges, both of which are interchangeable.

Why don't you take it to a shop and have them rebuild yours? Find an independent shop preferably an ATRA member they have nationwide warranty. It's actually an Asian Warner transmission used in numerous vehicles.