What to do about our roof?

ghastain

We bought this 1981 Dolphin at a great price, but the roof is a bit funky, they've put asphalt roofing sheets on top, and it's definitely not totally waterproof, and there is at least some leakage happening in the cabover area. My question is, if we want to recoat the roof with an EPDM roof sealer type coating, should we just pour directly onto this stuff, or should we try to rip/scrape it all off first? 

Dolphin Roof-1.jpg

Ok, well based on everyone's advice we will definitely strip that junk off. Just got our replacement axle installed, hoping to have this thing driveable by tonight. Then we hope to make it from Phoenix to Dallas starting tomorrow morning...a bit rushed but road safe I think. This thing only has 40k miles on it... wish us luck!! 

3 hours ago, ghastain said:

Ok, well based on everyone's advice we will definitely strip that junk off. Just got our replacement axle installed, hoping to have this thing driveable by tonight. Then we hope to make it from Phoenix to Dallas starting tomorrow morning...a bit rushed but road safe I think. This thing only has 40k miles on it... wish us luck!! 

You’ve got a 5 digit odometer. More likely 140K or 240K for mileage. You should have some type of rv tow coverage if you don’t already have it.

Regular AAA will not cover your tow.