Propane sensor kills battery

canman47

My deep cycle battery is always going dead. I put an ammeter in line and it seems that the only thing running is the propane sensor. I just bought a new battery and thought it might be able to hold a charge for a few days but after 6 days the battery was completely dead. I've had to get in the habit of disconnecting the battery every time I park it. Is it normal for that thing to use so much current? Thinking about disconnecting it. I can smell propane if there's a leak. Rv's never used to have these things.

58 minutes ago, canman47 said:

My deep cycle battery is always going dead. I put an ammeter in line and it seems that the only thing running is the propane sensor. I just bought a new battery and thought it might be able to hold a charge for a few days but after 6 days the battery was completely dead. I've had to get in the habit of disconnecting the battery every time I park it. Is it normal for that thing to use so much current? Thinking about disconnecting it. I can smell propane if there's a leak. Rv's never used to have these things.

Most modern  propane sensors use about 1/10 of an amp for power. It sounds like you have some type of short somewhere in your system.

What reading did you get on your amp meter?

Edited by fred heath

72 amps a month. You might want to load test your battery. They are known to kill batteries Linda has the right ideal.

Like I said it's a new battery. Load tester says it's fine. Don't remember the ammeter reading but when I disconnect the propane sensor it reads zero. I guess I expected with a new fully charged battery it would go more than 6 days. I do usually disconnect the battery when I'm not on a trip. Maybe I'll put a switch on that sensor.

sometimes "new" stuff is defective --  I would test that battery, probably not the cause but worth verifying.    BTW, an easy way to test for a load is when connecting/ disconnecting a battery, if you get sparks then there is some sort of load. If you disconnect the propane sensor and you still get sparks....   something else is drawing

Like I said I checked the battery with a professional load tester and it's fine. Propane sensor does cause a little spark. Either it's defective or the sucker just uses a lot of juice.

Basic math says if it kills the battery in 6 days, thats about 1.5 amps. Get the amp meter back out and get a complete reading