12v outlet, USB, voltmeter

odysseybernard

Just installed this. Came with the 2 switches and all the wiring for a ridiculous online price (less than $20).

The switches turn the red voltmeter light and the blue USB light on and off.

The little plastic box was the wife's idea, hung with L brackets under the upper cabinet. Didn't have to drill  holes in the cabinet. 

Also installed a new 24 inch 12 volt TV. Can get 17 digital stations off the roof antenna sitting in my driveway.

IMG_20180131_165323794.jpg

IMG_20180131_165232307.jpg

IMG_20180131_165251573.jpg

So....where can the rest of us buy this?

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than using the standard apple 120V plug to USB for charging a phone, this seems like a great idea. Im curious as to the wattage it pulls in either format.

When you plug your phone/tablet into the wall outlet at home, it's getting 120V (i would assume). But I know that a lot of car stereo decks (12V) have a USB plug for connecting and charging your device. Electrically speaking what is happening to allow the different volt systems to charge the same battery?

Asking as I have some onboard 120V plugs from an inverter. What would be easiest and least tiresome on my batteries to charge said tablet/phones while not plugged into house electric or using a generator?

The unit here is probably pulling around .9 amps @ 12v charging 1 phone, way less power than using an inverter and wall charger. As far as using the USB port on a stereo it should work as ALL USB devices and ports are wired the same. You phone may only slow charge as you don't know the power rating of the port.

The device is just a simple brute force regulator 12v in 5v out. The sexy ones will use a voltage divider network then a regulator to to reduce wasted energy. The 120v ac wall wart uses a step down transformer like 120v ac in and 10v ac out. The 10v ac goes to a bridge rectifier which makes it like 8v DC, then it goes to the regulator which makes it 5v suitable for your phone.

If this confuses you then just think of it as magic and keep charging your phone :sorcerer:

Awesome, thanks! I like magic.

This cool USB/Voltmeter device... where would it get wired into the system? I guess, just anywhere along the wiring that is feeding any 12V parts of the RV?