On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:04 PM, DanAatTheCape said:

that is quite an accusation there...

you are always welcome to take yours there and watch that process play out. The easiest way to nullify the toggle is to go in and just ask for it to be tested and THEN let them know its theirs, after the FAIL registers

Edited by Totem

Funny but I had forgotten this line of discussion. I actually did just recently have my alternator and battery checked at Autozone after Sears told me my battery needed replacing after an oil change. Too wet and cold here to do it myself and I had a coupon. Was also heading to Reno where it was in the teens temp so I didn't want to get stuck. Everything checked out fine. Sears was just trying to sell me something. No toggle switch here

Linda S

During my trip through Washington a couple of years ago, I got an oil change at Wal-Mart.  They informed me that my battery needed to be replaced due to low resting voltage.  I felt like telling them that they just wanted to sell a battery.  I have 2 digital voltmeters mounted under the dash that I check frequently.  One is the truck battery and the other is for the coach battery.  I check them both before starting the engine and monitor it frequently while driving.  I am paranoid about my batteries because I almost got stranded on one of my trips.  I don't trust any oil change outfit, they all want to sell more batteries.  I also mark my oil filters whenever I change the oil so that I can see if they actually changed the filter.

14 hours ago, Bob C said:

During my trip through Washington a couple of years ago, I got an oil change at Wal-Mart.  They informed me that my battery needed to be replaced due to low resting voltage.  I felt like telling them that they just wanted to sell a battery.  I have 2 digital voltmeters mounted under the dash that I check frequently.  One is the truck battery and the other is for the coach battery.  I check them both before starting the engine and monitor it frequently while driving.  I am paranoid about my batteries because I almost got stranded on one of my trips.  I don't trust any oil change outfit, they all want to sell more batteries.  I also mark my oil filters whenever I change the oil so that I can see if they actually changed the filter.

Years ago I have a customer that did that I asked him why he dealt with us if he didn't trust us "just making sure you didn't forget" he said. Next time he was in for an oil change I marked the new filter the same as he did, "see he said got you" then I showed him he his old marked filter. No other issues with him after that. Not saying there are not unscrupulous shops out there and many are trained to sell and get kick backs but it really pays to trust the ones you use. Neighborhood independents are the best choice bad PR spreads fast and they won't stay in business long if they do stuff like that.