Fuel gauge reads half on our 1992 Warrior

Magstan4

Hello all, we just bought a 1992 21ft Warrior.  It seems the Fuel gauge only reads to half.  I have read a few post describing how to ground out the sender to test for flaws on the tank side, but is there a method of testing the dash cluster?  

In the event that the tank needs to be dropped, is there a resource for part numbers one of you could share.  I'm looking for sender and float specifically.   

Any other advice on this issue would be great!  I've read that floats in these models were prone to failure, is this true?  

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the coming months.  

21839.png

Yes you can check it at the dash it will only tell you that it is working it will not check the wiring or the float. There are two pin on the gauge you will need a test light a volt meter will not work. One pin is the voltage from the gauge regulator your test light will slowly flash if nothing happens goto the other pin it is the lead from the float touch the probe on that pin again it will flash but the fuel gauge will start to climb and should go to full. It most likely is the tank unit if you can find access the the wiring for the tank the same test will work there also and if it reads full the wiring is fine and the float unit is toe up.