Propane leak at the gauge

Bikemike

A propane smell coming from the tank area led me to hunt down the leak with soapy water. I found that several small patches of bubbles were coming from the threads in between the fuel gauge and the tank.  Can I fix this myself by taking out the gauge, cleaning the threads and using pipe dope?

E3405F83-C8E6-49E2-97B1-7180CE6BE261.thumb.jpeg.a1c4fe58c5d247cab1e8ce796f41faf5.jpeg

8709002D-D523-40DA-8F34-19158AE51F8F.thumb.jpeg.1611a4afb23e85175345751f4d00fd94.jpeg

Yes it can be done do you feel safe with this? Normal pipe tape is not for gas there is a sealant known a Gasola that works very well and tape for gas joints.

I have worked on gas and water lines before and I would feel comfortable doing this if I felt like I thuroughly understood the system. I read on a post that the tank needs to be removed so the gauge can be placed upward to avoid bending the float...is that the case with this model?  Also, I seem to remember something about a need to get the tank purged of air after the gauge is replaced/resealed. Of course the tank should be emptied as much as possible and I should be aware that this is very dangerous (disconnect battery, be vigilant about sparks/pilot lights, etc.). I would pay to have someone do it if I had to... but I  don’t want to if possible. 

Tank work is not bad at all. the main thing is to take your time and understand the fittings. Personally I am a fan of using tape AND dope - that was the only way i passed my leak test. Its held up nicely too.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:42 AM, Totem said:

Tank work is not bad at all. the main thing is to take your time and understand the fittings. Personally I am a fan of using tape AND dope - that was the only way i passed my leak test. Its held up nicely too.

Yes tape is fine but there are two types the white stuff is not for gas fittings. The Gasola pipe dope is a gas fitting dope it's older than I am. Gas pipe tape is yellow it's thicker and reduces corrosion (and the inspectors can spot it easier). One thing about the tank make sure there is no liquid propane before taking anything apart it needs to be completely empty. 

Edited by Maineah

• 2 weeks later...

Now lookit!  No leaks and now my propane tank Is pretty!  Thanks Totem and every one else. John at northern energy in Missoula is great also; full of knowledge and helpful. He even purged my tank for free. 

Little wonder that my gauge was leaking, it was barely more than hand tight. I braced myself for the battle with a wood frame to hold the tank and a pry bar but, thankfully,  it came off quite easy. 

A9A970FD-9AC9-4D5D-A924-D0DC3922D64D.jpeg