Order of roof sealant (what is on what?)

RGebm

I am trying to figure out the correct order to apply roof sealant / redo the roof. Aluminum roof on my '87 Warrior. There seems to be a lot of different advice/nothing clear on the exact order that is suggested.

1. Clean off old sealants

2. Rebed everything in new butyl tape

3. Remove molding, EPDM tape, replace molding

4. EPDM primer, then full coat

5. Lap sealant around "stuff"

2 Questions: So, does this seem like the right order, and should lap sealant go around molding if EPDM tape is underneath of it?

Not sure what roof molding is?   Other than that sounds good.    I see no reason to use lap sealant and EPDM, but that is my opinion and how I would do it. After reading on this for some time if I wanted to coat my roof (aluminum) I would use a DTM direct to metal paint. Then do the normal sealing.   My roof is in great condition with no pitting.

I suppose the thought is to use both to make EXTRA SUPER sure that I don't have any water intrusion...anymore...

And for roof molding - I am talking about the l-channel edging around all of the joints. You know - the actual edging around the roof joints (around the entire RV portion).

Thanks for the confirmation. Can't be too careful!

Fortunately for me (like jj) my aluminum roof is not pitted and doesn’t leak. I decided to reseal and paint it anyway. The big differences I noticed was the temperature inside the coach was much cooler with the sun reflecting off the white paint and the sound of the rain was more muffled. 

That is what I was thinking - protect it anyway. I don't want to have to replace any more roof! I am planning to replace all hatches w/butyl, take off the edges, seal with that wide edge tape, paint the roof, then lap seal around any openings. I hope it works. I know it is overkill, but I think if I take my time and do it right I will be much happier in the long run.

Hey RG resealing and painting my roof was the hardest thing I’ve done to Grannie but we’ll worth it! For the paint I used a product called Snow Seal. Goes on blue but dries to bright white. I didn’t remove the channel around the edges. Be very careful if you do because the channel can easily kink and bend! I took off the old vinyl insert replaced all the screws in the channel with larger stainless steel screws then put a new insert back into the channel. Also replaced all the screws on the roof with the larger SS screws.  I covered all the screws with additional lap sealent. I removed all the old lap sealant and reapplied the sealent. Why’ll I was up there I also replaced the roof vent cover for the BR with a Max Fan vent cover and installed a Max Fan Deluxe unit where the coach vent was. Awesome unit. I painted over the new lap sealent. Quite a job but I don’t think you can “overkill” roof repairs! Good Luck to you.