Howdy from West MI

shibs

Greetings from West MI, it is has been a while since i have here, hope everyone is doing well.

Last year went in a blitz with work, kids and travelling. I spend zero days camping last year.

Hopefully 2018 will be better, planning a trip to yellowstone with the kids and few trips to Northern MI.

I saw the ad for taco-nook, dang, that is nice.

well shibs,

alas ole jde was drummed out by the Admins. Technically, they did not boot him I don't think just rather asked him nice to leave and he said thats it I'm out. before leaving he changed everything about himself to "Zero" so if you see old posts that you think were him but they say "Zero" that is his old historical account.

He is still up north somewhere last I heard... arguing with someone about diesel viscosity in July vs February temps.

Hi Totem,

Ok, thanks for the update, it is  a loss for the board and us. Good to hear he is well. 

Lol, diesel viscosity is no runny matter ;-)

How are ya? Are you heading down to Dauphin Island anytime soon? I was in Navarre, FL 2 weeks back, it is very nice there.

Edited by shibs

I enjoyed arguing er uh conversation with him and always learned a thing or two/too from his posts. While we 3 are from the same state and even of the same opine philosophically than most others on this site, I too admit I miss his posts and of course watching him mischievously trigger certain folks to scream at the sky.  As for me, I have taken so many trips in the Toy that we literally are having a hard time to come up with a new one this year.. I wanted to do yet another new voyage but the wife decided she wants to do the loop to Wisconsin up through UP and back down one again; so I am officially starting to repeat trips; for me... I would certainly like to visit Dauphin again. I had a blast there.

Personally I have only one voyage new that I can even think of - the Antelope Canyon trip which I think is in Arizona, but that's a haul.... Maine was fun. I have not done Florida in the toy but I hear its gotten rough down there.

Antelop Canyon though, something about seeing that place on my screen saver so much...

Antelope Canyon, I did not get tired of looking out of the window, I made that trip in 1997, wow, we headed up to Cedar City UT to spend the night. If you go down there make sure you get the fried chicken from the tribal supermarket in the corner of 64 and 89, the best chicken I have had (disclaimer: that was 20 plus years back :-))

FYI: DI has the west end closed till spring break, they are waiting for Fed $$$ to clean it up.

The upper loop is something I want to do this year, what would be a good spot to spend the night midway from Bridge with clean restrooms? 

Super Loop we did it couple years ago..

we go first to the Mt. Olympus amusement park where they charge a modest reasonable fee to stay in their concrete pad - however they give you free admission tickets to the parks (thrill rides and water rides) for any qualifying stay at their "lodging" and the trailer spots do count so basically my family gets in free and we needed a place to stay with full hookups anyway. We usually do that for a day or two then we go hit the dells on the boat tours then after that I camp by intuition all the way up and through the UP. We see a cool place and feel tired; we camp. midway between bridge - do you mean mainland or up?

If UP I recall a small ma n pa campground we liked; but don't recall the name - it may be in my profile in here in a trip report. After the bridge I usually dart over to Cadillac hwy and stay over at my cabin or Northern Exposure. This year we plan to hit pictured rock.

Edited by Totem

UP, I am going to start in GR and go up to Mac City, 

And then? I am mean do the south drive via Manistique? or go up to Munising > Marquette > ?

Ahah, you started on the WI side, hmm, I have a buddy in Appleton, she bought a house there, so I can camp in her house and fish the lake :-). 

So If I start in MI side from the MAC, it is 3 hours to Marquette/Pictured Rock, staying at pictured rock overnight makes sense.

Cool, I will do a quick search for your trip report.

wife and I calculate we would have 30 hour drive each way to go to antelope canyon. that's a lot of driving even if we split it up. I may just yet convince her its the better trip.

On 1/30/2018 at 12:06 PM, Totem said:

wife and I calculate we would have 30 hour drive each way to go to antelope canyon. that's a lot of driving even if we split it up. I may just yet convince her its the better trip.

Which route? via KC > OK > NM?

If you are going to spend a a week or more, it would be enjoyable, it take me that long to recover from the muscle ache from sitting down that long :-(.

I am considering a West Coast trip (Hi Linda) spanning 3 weeks, were I leave the camper there and fly back home for week and then go back trek back again.

Go west via I-90 and come back Via I 10 > I -65

all we have is a week surrounded by weekends  9 days.  We also have a 7 year old and a 9 year old daughter in the cab.... Now I know if I buckled down I could run 12 hour drives but that puts a tax on me and the rig. My favorite way to do trips like this is usually to have mini destinations along the way, where I will pull 5 hours drive, stop for lunch wife pulls 5 and we camp and do something fun, rinse repeat for 3 days. enjoy 4th day there hike it and rinse repeat home.

I am thinking:

Indiana Illinois Nebraska Iowa Colorado Utah Arizona along 80

and return trip:

Colorado Kansas Missouri Illinois Indiana along 160, 70 35 36 etc

so I am looking for cool things to see along those routes

in both directions there will be no stopping in Indiana (boring) nor Illinois (dangerous).

Edited by Totem

• 2 weeks later...

Going from Utah to Arizona there are some sharp mountain switch backs, 

I have to admit that 9 days would be tough. IA, NE,  KS, MO all are boring drives, 

IL - is not only dicey to stop, at night, the rest areas are also full sometimes, I was towing my tow behind camper with my truck and I had to park on the shoulder to get some shut eye.

turns out we will have to do the UP this year. My good buddys 40th birthday invite dictates i be in traverse that same week. Can't say no to a guys 40th, after all its when you really can tell you are falling apart every year after that.

lol, I know the feeling, been falling into little pieces myself, can't tie a fly anymore without taking my glasses off, arrrrrgh.

UP - good choice, on my flight back last week I met a couple from Munising, they were encouraging me to camp over night in the pictured rock. From my loc in GR it will be 8 hours.

I have  camp spot on the Betsie south of Traverse, love the area but restaurants are few and far...