Oxidation of fiberglass on Sunrader

Iflyfish

The fiberglass  on my rig is oxidized and I am interested in cleaning/polishing it. Any experiences, ideas of how to do this? Products? 

Thanks,

Iflyfishwithelbowgrease

I was a bit skeptical of the Zep and Barkeepers friends hype.  I am in the process of cleaning up my Toy and the Barkeepers does an impressive job, even cleans up the caulk.  It is a bit of work, so I am only doing a section at a time.  If you do try the Barkeepers it takes a thorough rinsing and wear gloves, it sucks the oil out of skin. The Zep is a huge improvement.

The barkeep and Zep combo is excellent.  I've been using the foam spray (with gloves).  Plus elbow grease.  Huge difference.  The Zep doesn't make the surface shiny despite the "wet look" promise on the label.  It's more of a waxed, protected look.  You don't see the shiny fiberglass fibers anymore.  It's smooth and sealed and does not collect dust as much because the nooks and crannies have been filled.  I have been using an old toothbrush on the caulking.  A bonus to the up close up cleaning is that I can discover the places where I need to repair or bolster.

Yes, another option for applying the oxalic acid. It comes in a spray bottle.  If you spray it through the screen they provide, it foams.  Need a photo of the bottle?  Got it at Home Depot.

If you are near a big boat yard supply they will have teak cleaner it is exactly the same thing as Barkeepers in a much larger package.

Remember the Zep needs 4 or 5 coats for the "look"

Great discussion! Appreciate all the thinking here. 

Is this the ZEP?

https://www.amazon.com/Zep-Commercial-1044898-Polish-Bottle/dp/B0057PFLMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517093459&sr=8-1&keywords=zep+floor+wax

715zQ2wiGTL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Iflyfish

repeating WME, to get the shine, or wet look, you need several coats of zep. the bar keeper product I used was the regular dry. not sure about the liquid or spray versions. markwilliam, helped me do my Winnie last summer. after seeing the spectacular results on his Granville, I was sold. mark's method included a rise of water and TSP, after the barkeepers friend and before applying the zep.  with his help and guidance, the Winnie now looks amazing. joe from dover.

Thanks Joe! Ifly if you read my post “The Magic of Zep” it details the process with pictures. Your rader doesn’t look too bad and it will shine up to the point it looks new! Highly recommended!

Anyone using ZEP should be aware the it really seals the surface with a 'skin'. You've really got to concentrate on getting the surface 'as good as it's going to get' before applying because anything is going to get buried under the 'skin' and going back later to catch anything missed is not impossible but a lot more work than with a coat of regular car wax.

Very true Derek! Surface preparation is the key! Bar Keepers Friend (I used the powder version) will remove almost all stains but it leaves residue behind! The residue need to be completely rinsed off and the rig needs to be dry before applying the Zep. 

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Newbie here - been hand washing my Sunrader with Barkeep’s Friend...  Not tried Zep yet.

I have used both the liquid bottle form and the powdered form, in tandem; liquid to do a general scrub clean, then the powdered to spot clean.  I found the powdered is best for removing rust on the truck part and stubborn gunk from the shell.  But the liquid has been best on my over cab windows.  I keep a bowl of rinse water, using an old dish sponge + a green scrub pad for the stubborn rust and things.  (Using gloves is an excellent suggestion!)

Still cleaning - will share more experiences as I have them (like when it’s time to wax!).  Wish I’d taken more photos at the start - it’s unbelievable how well just Barkeeps and water is shining up the RV!  (As per usual - gotta say THANK YOU for these threads.  I’m very grateful to this community.)

Hey Rachel I agree the barkeepers Friend is Amazing stuff! If you have time read my post The Magic of Zep. It has detailed information and many pictures. It will make your rig look almost new!

Thanks markwilliam1!!

I will check it out very soon!  I feel like I’m back in college with all this reading and research.  Which is COOL because I love to learn, love a challenge.

A friend of a friend is a mechanic and under the hood as I type, checking things out, calling NAPA, so the exterior clean up is taking a back seat at the moment.  (All the RV curtains are in the wash machine right now - hope they don’t desintigrate!).  Such exicting times!