I am considering solar this spring. I think 100 watts would work for me. 

What do you think about this unit? 

Is there a way to attach it without putting holes in the roof?

https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Polycrystalline-Off-Grid-Controller-Mounting/dp/B01FRKA7O6/ref=sr_1_7_m?s=lawn-garden&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1516825599&sr=1-7&keywords=rv+solar+panel+kit&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_72%3A2661618011

Thanks,

Iflyfishelectronically

With a bit of creative thinking you can fiberglass some aluminum pads to the roof and then bolt the panel mounts to them. IF your refer has a roof vent the power leads can feed through the vent and routed to  the controller.

If no roof vent, this is the best plan B. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0111RNZDY/ref=asc_df_B0111RNZDY5347596/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B0111RNZDY&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198064505516&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15786858972790623415&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029305&hvtargid=pla-320968524188

The 100w is about the min for extended stays. If you flyfish all day long are not into major gaming and tv watching, then all should be good for vent fans, water pumps, lights (LED) and run the heater for a bit.

Edited by WME

Run the wires down the vent pipe and bring them out in a closet. Reduce your power demands and a 100 watts will keep you going for weeks in warm weather.

Here is mine it folds flat and I story it on the bed when not in use it's 100 watt I can turn it elevate it and lay it flat at noon weights about 18# The controller is right on the panel the whip is #10 SJ cord and the connector plugs into a 50 amp Anderson power pole at the battery 

IMG_1807.JPG

OK so "we're going portable". To extract every possible erg of energy. The way to set things up is to mount the controller as close as possible to the battery(s) as possible.

The long wire should be between the controller and panel..

Reason?? The controller has a lower voltage out than the panel does. So a few tenths of a volt loss in the wires between the controller and the battery means a lot to the battery. The panel puts out 21v+ so the same few tenths have little impact because the controller will adjust the output to keep the battery up..

Don't care if your battery is 95% or 100% then go with what is easiest

Great ideas! Nice rig Maineah! If I were ever to go solar it would be a portable setup. I can’t imagine parking my rig in the hot sun so the roof top panels will charge. How do you keep your rig cool while sitting in the sun? 

38 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Great ideas! Nice rig Maineah! If I were ever to go solar it would be a portable setup. I can’t imagine parking my rig in the hot sun so the roof top panels will charge. How do you keep your rig cool while sitting in the sun? 

Sitting in the sun I don't! I have found that a 100 watt panel will run the Fantastic Fan on low and charge the battery on a nice bright day and when I built the connecting system I made provisions on both ends of the camper to plug the panel in and the cord is about 15' long so I usually can at least get some shade. Roof top panels are convenient but they don't produce max power otherwise all solar installed panels would be flat. There is an online site that will give you the incline angle by location and month mine is marked by month and I set the incline by date. If I'm hanging out by the camper I just rotate the frame to produce the smallest shadow. The greatest solar gain is midday with the sun over head but it falls off fast during rising and setting sun that's where the adjustable angle shines. I'm a born tinkerer I have all kinds of gadgets  to read voltage and current so I know exactly where max gain is at any time of day light.

14 hours ago, WME said:

OK so "we're going portable". To extract every possible erg of energy. The way to set things up is to mount the controller as close as possible to the battery(s) as possible.

The long wire should be between the controller and panel..

Reason?? The controller has a lower voltage out than the panel does. So a few tenths of a volt loss in the wires between the controller and the battery means a lot to the battery. The panel puts out 21v+ so the same few tenths have little impact because the controller will adjust the output to keep the battery up..

Don't care if your battery is 95% or 100% then go with what is easiest

This is one reason I used #10 wire to carry just a few amps the run is about 15' max and I have provisions to use the panel both ends of the camper hence the controller on the panel I also use it to charge other batteries than the camper's (ham radio stuff) Ideally a multiple RV install would use series/parallel wired panels for max voltage and a 48 volt controller. Better yet high voltage direct conversion.

Edited by Maineah

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, WME said:

With a bit of creative thinking you can fiberglass some aluminum pads to the roof and then bolt the panel mounts to them. IF your refer has a roof vent the power leads can feed through the vent and routed to  the controller.

If no roof vent, this is the best plan B. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0111RNZDY/ref=asc_df_B0111RNZDY5347596/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B0111RNZDY&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198064505516&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15786858972790623415&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029305&hvtargid=pla-320968524188

The 100w is about the min for extended stays. If you flyfish all day long are not into major gaming and tv watching, then all should be good for vent fans, water pumps, lights (LED) and run the heater for a bit.

Thanks, never thought about this. 

Iflyfish

Great stuff here! Thank you for your very thoughtful and useful posts. 

Iflyfish

7 hours ago, Totem said:

That's more of a toy than a solar array. But then again with a hundred of them and 15 camping sites---.

50 watts can help a single marine battey decently during a hike and also charge phones. I like it. Ita no generator replacement nor is it a replacement for covering your roof in obsession shingles but it will recharge a light duty battery nicely and you need to carry a table anyway. 

14 hours ago, Totem said:

that would take a lot of chicken to cover that many tables!

It would, hope you don't invite too many people that's a lot of cleaning.