19 gallon fuel tank?

canman47

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it. I am constantly stressing about running out of gas since I like going to remote areas. 17 gallons x 12-13 mpg just doesn't cut it and I don't want to carry gas inside. Looking through the Toyota chassis manual I see that the 4x4 long beds have a 19+ gallon tank. Has anyone tried swapping in one of these? I see them listed at wrecking yard sites for less than $100. Even 2 gallons more would help. I have a hitch on back but the Winnebago manual says no weight can be put on that. I wonder what it's for?

The 4x4 tanks have been mentioned but I don't remember anyone actually trying to fit one.

Maybe order a new one from someone with a liberal return policy and measure it up?

I don't know of any Toyota MH that would have left the factory with a tow hitch installed. AFAIK, they were all added later.

If your hitch is mounted correctly to the frame, not just the bumper. I don't think it's an issue to add a hitch carrier and a couple of cans of gas. Many here do. I use a hitch carrier for my inflatable boat and motor and have never had a problem. About 150lbs including the carrier weight. Mine is aluminum from harbor freight. Very light. Best part is easy to take off when not needed

Linda S

Try what Linda suggested. My buddy Hunkaman has a  92 Winnie with a factory installed hitch and he uses the Harbor Freight carrier to carry spare gas and such. My Granville has a factory extension on the rear and I also carry a 5 gallon gas container along with my Honda 2000i. Would Hate to run out of gas with no cell coverage!

It is a 92 Itasca Spirit (Winnebago) and it is a factory installed frame mounted hitch but the manual clearly states that it can't tow anything. I may try an aluminum carrier but the rig has an enormous rear overhang already. I've been stuck just pulling into driveways!

Unlikely that the hitch was factory installed.  When approaching grade/entrance,exit take the grade at an angle, will solve most bottoming out.   Some entrance/exits need to be avoided.  At times I have to drive around the block to approach at an angle, it is not a car!

The rear section of a 21' Toy home frame is not factory Toyota didn't make any thing that long it was added by the coach builder including the hitch.

BTW, the 19 gallon tanks were fitted to the 4x4 Extended Cab models. It looks like the Regular Cabs used the 17.2 gallon tank.

If I rely on the rough dimensions found on the Spectra Premium eCat, it looks like the 19 gallon tank (TB07C) is ~1.75" deeper than the 17 gallon tank (T08B). Maybe a higher ride height allowed more ground clearance to allow fitting a deeper tank?

http://www.spectrapremium.com/home.html

I don't know if Spectra Premium are the only supplier of replacement tanks in North America, but they certainly seem to be the largest. They're a Canadian company, but these days that does not mean that their products aren't being made off-shore. There have been reports of quality (leaks) in their tanks.

TO7C 4x4 Ext Cab.pdf

TO8A 2wd carb.pdf

TO8B 2wd.pdf

TO9B SWB.pdf

TO10B - 4x4.pdf

Yep, that’s what I meant about factory installed hitch. Installed  by the RV maker not Toyota. Also Joe’s Winnie does bottom out sometimes with the cargo carrier attached but ya sure can carry a lot of stuff on it!

Edited by markwilliam1
More info

Yes ,I meant the hitch was installed at the Winnebago factory not Toyota. But it's funny that they put it on there and then put in the manual that it can't be used.

I looked in to auxiliary and upgraded fuel tanks for a while before deciding it was simply too much trouble. Instead, I'm running two 5 gallon Jerry can style cans on a bumper that I had custom welded to my frame. It comfortably carries the weight of 10 gallons of fuel and my two spare tires. I had a welding shop build it for me and it took them less than 4 hours. With this set up we recently drove to Prudhoe Bay, AK where there is a 250 mile stretch of road with no services. 

These are the cans I bought. Be sure you get the name brand (Wavian) and not a cheap knockoff.

WP_20170911_11_47_33_Pro.resized.jpg

That’s Perfect G! I use the plastic 5 gallon container (less weight) on the rear and had a friend make a spare 6 lug tire carrier that also carries my 5 lug spare all welded to the frame similar to yours. Nice setup Man!

These metal gas cans have been well worth the cost. They don't swell too much when its warm (even in direct sun) and they don't spill at all when you're filling. I've run them now almost a year and 15k+ miles and they are still working like the day I bought them. I have never had any plastic cans perform like that. The weight is not too much different than the plastic. I think they're less than 10lbs together.

Another note about weight in the back: i was bottoming out my springs too until I replaced my old worn out airbags with a new set of Airlifter 5000's. Now I can carry all that weight on the bumper and still sit nice and high in the back. I am running 85 pounds in the bags and it makes for a nice smooth ride. It's got way more ground clearance this way and does much better on those rutted mountain roads. I've also had more than one person ask me about my "lifted" toyhome. 

I carry 2 1/2 gallon cans on the rear bumper.  I have to replace the sheet metal tube 5 years ago and the machine shop that did my repairs did a great job of rebuilding the bumper and mounts.  5 gallons will get me at least 60 mies and it gets my wife to stop worrying about running out of gas (yeah right.)

Lots of good ideas. I want the custom bumper and to replace my blown out air bags. Thanks everyone. Now I know where my next paycheck is going! Yes Derek, it is an aftermarket hitch that was installed for a bike rack.