WiFi on the Road update

I have been exploring wifi on the road this last year. Man is this complex! 

I happened to run into this device 

AT&T ZTE Mobley https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=at%26t+zte+mobley+review

There is an adaptor for 12 volt and 110 volt https://www.amazon.com/PeraltaProducts-Adapter-Mobley-Hotspot-Device/dp/B07173G1MK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1516238092&sr=8-4&keywords=AT%26T+ZTE+Mobley

This one blew my mind, or what was left of it. 

It is a device designed to plug into your CAR engine computer read out port. It connects to AT%T cell tower and provides you with WiFI via the tower. However people have developed adaptors that allow you to plug it into a cigarette lighter or 110 outlet. 

AT%T are not advertising this much as I don't think that they understand that there is a HUGE RV market for a device like this. 

Here is the kicker.....$20/month! Yup, you read that right. The device is free with a 2 year plan and there is a $45 activation fee.

The device is $99 via AT%T or between that and $150 on ebay. 

So, get to camp, plug in the device, turn on your computer, link it to the Mobley and surf to you hearts content. Use this with a computer and TV monitor with Blue Ray and you can watch anything you can get on your computer, Netflix etc. and you are good to go with no wires!

I don't know if anyone here has done this. I just signed up and the device is on it's way to my home. I will fire it off after I return from Mexico and let you know how it works.

In the mean time if anyone has this and has used it I would be happy to hear of you experience.

Iflyfishontheweb

Wow 20 bucks a month. That's a crazy good deal. ATT still does not have good service in remote areas though. Sometimes even in out of the way towns. I had to switch to Verizon cause my ATT phone didn't work at my house in Eureka Ca. Had to walk outside to use it and then turn just the right way

Linda S

14 hours ago, linda s said:

Wow 20 bucks a month. That's a crazy good deal. ATT still does not have good service in remote areas though. Sometimes even in out of the way towns. I had to switch to Verizon cause my ATT phone didn't work at my house in Eureka Ca. Had to walk outside to use it and then turn just the right way

Linda S

Verizon does have the best coverage, hands down. This is such a cheap option and I already have an AT%T Plan and they gave me the device for free ($99) and waived the activation fee ($45) as I have had an account for many years. Too good to pass up and wifi available by other means if needed. Cost to me is $20/month. 

Strange that it's made to connect via OBD; maybe just so it doesn't use up the limited 12v lighter ports in most vehicles?

The ATT website quoted me $25/mo for their top Mobley service plan just now, with a 5GB data limit (drops to very slow speed after that, suitable for email, but not much else). Since we browse and do email over our phones, the only thing I'd really use a hotspot for is media/movies on the road, which would blow through that 5GB limit very fast (like 2 movies!).

So, not a game-changer for us... maybe useful if your phone plan has zero data, however.