1985 Nissan Sunrader Emergency Brake Repair

LizaLou

Hey Sunrader Nerds! 

My 1985 Nissan Sunrader has a defunct emergency brake so I've been using tire blocks when I park it. I'm dropping it off at the car doctor this week and was hoping to locate a cable for the e-brake so I can have them fix it (I don't trust myself with this task at this point in my tinkering career). They mechanic was concerned that he wouldn't have the part. Does anyone know if it requires the same length cable as a Nissan 720 pickup or is it a longer cable? Bonus points if you include a link to purchase the part :) Thanks everyone! 

Rock auto should have the cable. As long as your frame hasn't been lengthened between the front wheel and back wheel you'll be fine.

Measure the distance from the center front wheel to center rear wheel(wheel base). Compare to factory spec's for your year pickup. If the same, the factory cable will work.

We're Toyota folks here but glad to help out. ?

Which cable. Right hand left hand or center that comes from the front. or all of them. Everything is still available from Nissan except for the drivers side cable. Weird to discontinue one side but not the other but. Here's the parts available with diagram and part numbers

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-list/1985-nissan-720-pickup/parking-brake-control.html?Filter=(1=HD%2f(T%2bW);2=Z24;3=DX;4=F5;5=LONG;6=2WD

Don't let them throw your cable away before you find a replacement. Custom cables can be made but they need to see what to make. It's also possible that one of the clips or brackets has rusted out and they cable has just come loose so the tension isn't right. It's possible a replacement could be found at a local parts store. Need to measure that cable to see.

Linda S

Well lots of stuff can brake along those lines. You don't know if it's a cable or an adjuster. It just ends at that lever. Everything that's connected to that lever from the front of the vehicle to the back wheels are all part of the parking brake mechanism. Guess you'll just have to wait until your mechanic looks at it. Can't buy parts if you don't know what's broken.

Linda S

Link I posted doesn't come through You will have to put in your vehicle yourself to see the parts and diagram. You can just put in the vin and get exact parts for your rig