Suburban DD17dsi Furnace Issues

The furnace in my Suburban DD17DSI started acting up this fall while in Colorado this fall.   The gas valve opened but no spark.  I used my electric space heater to "warm up" the furnace and lo & behold - the furnace started working correctly.

Now in Florida - a bit chilly and it the furnace would not light = this time no gas or spark (sail switch is working) so I tried the electric heater and again it worked. 

Anybody have any ideas?   I am guessing I have a flakey circuit board.

How about buying it a heater to preheat. These are 12 volt and you could hook it up with a switch and turn it on before you turn on the furnace. My Nissan was from Alaska and had heaters on the engine and all tanks. Didn't work by time I got it but some places you can't do without them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rv-Camper-Marine-Holding-ThermaHeat-Tank-Pipe-Heater-Pad-12-volt-SL-P712/332500643155?hash=item4d6a952d53:m:mijLDx0HFl-HAJiVeRXVg_w&vxp=mtr

Linda S

19 hours ago, DanAatTheCape said:

The furnace in my Suburban DD17DSI started acting up this fall while in Colorado this fall.   The gas valve opened but no spark.  I used my electric space heater to "warm up" the furnace and lo & behold - the furnace started working correctly.

Now in Florida - a bit chilly and it the furnace would not light = this time no gas or spark (sail switch is working) so I tried the electric heater and again it worked. 

Anybody have any ideas?   I am guessing I have a flakey circuit board.

I would try a new board just the age alone would be enough to upgrade to a modern board they kind of do flaky things when they get some miles on them like fire and heat only to not restart in the middle of the night and blow cold air until you have to get up and turn them off. Dinosaur boards are the best by far. 

On 12/31/2017 at 8:16 PM, fred heath said:

I have a new dinosaur UIB-L board in my storeroom if it fits.

curious, have you ever actually changed one of these CB's?   I looked up your board and it might fit - looks like it requires a kit?

2 hours ago, DanAatTheCape said:

curious, have you ever actually changed one of these CB's?   I looked up your board and it might fit - looks like it requires a kit?

You need to access your circuit board and get the mfg and model #. Then go to dinosaurs web site and cross reference your circuit board to their model# circuit board. My model is a "universal ignition board-large" UIB-L. They have many different models and sizes. With the correct board it's pretty much "plug and play". They also have a good tech help dept.

Your circuit board will be inside some type of hard plastic case with a pigtail connecting it to the furnace. You have to open this case to get to the circuit board itself. It's certainly something you can do yourself.

Edited by fred heath

Dinosaur has a pictural just match yours with the pictures. They all pretty much do exactly the same thing it's just the terminals and the fitment that differs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 5:20 PM, Maineah said:

I would try a new board just the age alone would be enough to upgrade to a modern board they kind of do flaky things when they get some miles on them like fire and heat only to not restart in the middle of the night and blow cold air until you have to get up and turn them off. Dinosaur boards are the best by far. 

This is EXACTLY what my furnace does.  Heats up once or twice, then wake up early in the morning just to find it blowing cold air.  So I'll go ahead and look at replacing the circuit board, thanks Maineah!

Edited by Mrlope

All the times my furnace did what you describe it's been a battery problem. Enough battery to still run the fan but not enough to turn it fast enough to open the sail switch. Check that first before you go buy the board. I have a small voltage check device that I plug into the 12 volt outlet inside the camper that tells me how much charge is left.

Linda S

4 hours ago, linda s said:

All the times my furnace did what you describe it's been a battery problem. Enough battery to still run the fan but not enough to turn it fast enough to open the sail switch. Check that first before you go buy the board. I have a small voltage check device that I plug into the 12 volt outlet inside the camper that tells me how much charge is left.

Linda S

I have plenty of battery power - sail switch pushed all the way back.