Ok guys.

I need tires for my chinook Newport. 

It has 14 inch rims in front, and 15s in the rear.

Currently on the front is a oddball size- 27x8.50R14

Rears are 235/75/15

He has load range D all terrain goodyears on the back right now. I can't seem to find a load range D anywhere online. Only light truck tires with 108 load rating.

The fronts I can't find load range D at all! 

Will 185r14 fit in front? 

Do you think the all terrain tires that are on it now are slowing me down a noticeable amount? 

What should I do? Haha

108 load rating is higher than a D load rating so those truck tires would be fine. Why are you running 15 inch rims in the back though. Must be very wide front rims too to fit that tire. Toyota 5 lug rims are cheap if you want to simply switch to 185r14 tires and quite a few of those are available very reasonable. Your Chinook is light enough that single tires with D load is plenty. If you want a little more load capacity because it's the Newport you could go with these

https://www.tires-easy.com/205-14/thunderer-tires/ranger-r101/tirecode/TH0309

Great price and more than enough for your rig but you would need new rims, maybe front and back.

Don't know if the all terrain is slowing you down but it's definitely costing you gas.

Linda S

I can always count on you Linda! Yes I'm assuming the rear 15 inch rim is aftermarket. But didn't all the chinooks come with a weirdly sized rear rim? 

The only thing I like about the 15 inch rim, is the slight gain in top speed. 

I may may consider buying some Toyota 14 inch rims for the rear. Do you know the 5 lug bolt pattern? Or do I simply search 5 lug Toyota truck rim? 

Also linda, do you know if my 14 inch wheel I currently have will accommodate the 185r14?

thanks so much always appreciate your answers 

A quick search on google is proving to be difficult in figuring out which rim is gonna work for me. Is it the same rim as the Toyota pickup of the same era? It's a 1978 of course 

20 minutes ago, guitarlover519 said:

A quick search on google is proving to be difficult in figuring out which rim is gonna work for me. Is it the same rim as the Toyota pickup of the same era? It's a 1978 of course 

5x114.3 or 5x4.5. First is factory, second will work. Any Toyota pickup from that era will work.

A 14" tire will fit any standard 14" rim.

Will my current rim sizes bring my fuel economy enough to justify buying new rims? That's gonna run 300 probably at least alone. I'm wondering if I should just stick with what I have. Tires are about 100 a piece versus the cheapo 185r14 I was going to get for 62 a piece from walmart. 

A million Toyota rims at salvage yards for 20 to 40 bucks each at the most. New rims from ebay can be had for 40 and less. Those tires I posted were 300 bucks for 4 but I can find even cheaper tires that would work fine. Yes those wheels would work and they are mighty fine looking too.

Linda S

Can you link me on some of the cheap eBay $40 rims if you get a moment? I don't need anything fancy

These are the cheapest I could find anywhere

Ion Alloy 71 Machined Wheel (14x6"/5x114.3mm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IPPCRY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0dXrAbCSADSGC

Thanks again Linda 

Salvage yard says he's got steelies for 40 bucks a piece. Thinking about grabbing those maybe and switching to 185r14. The cool factor of the off road tires is swaying me though 

Your rear white spoke wheels are generic aftermarket wheels. I'm sure they're probably 5x4.5 (common jeep size). Here are some from amazon with free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DVKJCJU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1514668120&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=14+inch+wheels&dpPl=1&dpID=413kAmTE89L&ref=plSrch

I too am easily swayed by an aggressive tread. Maybe costs some gas but look fabulous. The General Grabber At tire is available in a 14 inch size and has a C load rating so enough for your little rig. Not too bad price wise either. Just a bit over a hundred and lots of places with free shipping and no sales tax like this. Very reputable seller. Thousands of sales and no bad feedback.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-27x8-50R14LT-General-Grabber-AT2-95Q-C-6-Ply-OWL-Tires-/302534691411?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Just saw the wheels Fred posted. Nice and crazy good deal

Linda S

From the way the tires fit the front rims I think you have stock front rims. 185 tires have a higher rating than what you have and would steer a lot easier.

Again a SWAG is some body want more ground clearance for a bit of off roading. Those tires will give you almost 2" more ground clearance.

If you don't plan on off roading then 185 on the front and something like a 195/70/15 on the back would work  with the rims you have.

A thought Toyota 14" rims all the way around would simplify the spare situation.

Edited by WME

41 minutes ago, WME said:

From the way the tires fit the front rims I think you have stock front rims. 185 tires have a higher rating than what you have and would steer a lot easier.

Again a SWAG is some body want more ground clearance for a bit of off roading. Those tires will give you almost 2" more ground clearance.

If you don't plan on off roading then 185 on the front and something like a 195/70/15 on the back would work  with the rims you have.

A thought Toyota 14" rims all the way around would simplify the spare situation.

DARN it! I had made my mind up I would buy new rims for the front and run 185s in the front, and then do a nice knobby in the back till I read your comment. I really should get a spare, especially considering I don't have a dually! 

1 hour ago, linda s said:

I too am easily swayed by an aggressive tread. Maybe costs some gas but look fabulous. The General Grabber At tire is available in a 14 inch size and has a C load rating so enough for your little rig. Not too bad price wise either. Just a bit over a hundred and lots of places with free shipping and no sales tax like this. Very reputable seller. Thousands of sales and no bad feedback.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-27x8-50R14LT-General-Grabber-AT2-95Q-C-6-Ply-OWL-Tires-/302534691411?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Just saw the wheels Fred posted. Nice and crazy good deal

Linda S

These were the ones I was gonna get till I thought about the spare issue ugh 

Check your front rims carefully they should be stamped with the wheel size. Something like J14x5.5. If thats what you have, your current front tires will not wear correctly. The 8-5" tires needs a 7" wide rim.

Suggestion. Buy two stock rims and put new 185s on the front. Take the front tires and rims put then on the back and sell your rear rims with the tires to the Jeep guys.

You will have a bit of a stink bug attitude. When the rears wear out then get the 185s for the back

47 minutes ago, guitarlover519 said:

These were the ones I was gonna get till I thought about the spare issue ugh 

Most cars today come with a nasty little donut spare. Nothing you can drive on for very long. A regular tire will get you to a shop for service even if it feels funny driving on it.

Linda S

1 hour ago, WME said:

Check your front rims carefully they should be stamped with the wheel size. Something like J14x5.5. If thats what you have, your current front tires will not wear correctly. The 8-5" tires needs a 7" wide rim.

Suggestion. Buy two stock rims and put new 185s on the front. Take the front tires and rims put then on the back and sell your rear rims with the tires to the Jeep guys.

You will have a bit of a stink bug attitude. When the rears wear out then get the 185s for the back

Problem is the front rims are 8.5 wides. I've only found one tire available and it's a load range C which is ok for the front, but wouldn't want that on the rear 

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Most cars today come with a nasty little donut spare. Nothing you can drive on for very long. A regular tire will get you to a shop for service even if it feels funny driving on it.

Linda S

You're right. Maybe I'll keep one of my extra rims for a spare 

2 hours ago, WME said:

Oh I gotcha so you think the current tires might be the wrong size? Someone told me the stock chinook wheels were wide 

Take off the hubcaps and take a photo. Lets see what you got.

I THINK the factory rear tires were something like L60x14. Of course that size is obsolete. The fronts were something like 7.50x14, thats obsolete too.

8" wide rims on the front is crazy. I could see them on the back but not the front. With manual steering and those rims your arms must get tired steering from a dead stop.

I suspect your front rims were originally on the back. If you like your current fronts, switch them to the back(if they will carry the load) and put new wheels and tires on the front. Either way, I'd get those 8" rims off the front. They were designed for the back.

Edited by fred heath

Here's what I'm seeing:-

Front wheels look like they're the original Toyota rims hiding behind the hub caps. That would be either 5"x14" or 5.5"x14". The currently fitted 27x8.50x14" tires have a recommended rim width of 6"-7.5".

Rear wheels look like aftermarket 8 spoke rims. Will guess at a 7" width with a 'deep dish' offset. The currently installed tires have a recommended rim width of 6"-7".

Here's what I would do, assuming the current tires are in usable condition. Buy a set of 6"x14" 8-spoke white steelies (to match the rear), swap front tires on and be done with it! Oh, and keep one of the current front rims for a spare tire.

I have no record of what were originally offered on the Newport, but they were offered with wider singles on the rear. Don't know the offset or diameter.

25353636_1791952794148757_7398696890619790560_n.jpg

Newport.jpg

Just switch to all 14" rims and save yourself a lot of guessing tire sizes. The 15" were never intended for your truck. The 15" rim on the back will not increase your top speed. The larger diameter tire will throw your speedometer reading off. At 60mph on your Speedo you're actually doing 70mph. Not good when law enforcement is running radar. Your speedometer is calibrated for factory diameter tires. 185/75R14 is about 25". Your rear tires are almost 29"

Edited by fred heath

9 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

I don't think anyone is going to suggest he install that size. Certainly not me. Especially on the rear. :)

That's the factory specified size. I ran 195/75R-14 on the back before the axle swap. I now run 195/70-R15. Tried to keep my tire diameter around 26".

I'd be willing to bet the Newports came with the same L60 tires in the rear that the pop tops did. Not made anymore but on the Chinook site an oft quoted former Chinook expert , Tuffy used a 245/60/14 tire. The widest tire available for a 14 inch wheel and with a substantial 1675lb load rating. Tires are stronger now and so much more convenient to stick with all the same size all around. Can rotate them for longest wear too

Linda S

31 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

I have no record of what the Newports left the factory with. Tires in their ad certainly appear much larger than 185/75R14. I do know that I wouldn't recommend that anyone install tires rated @ 1290lb, especially on the rear.

Newport.jpg

I never suggested he run 185's. I said that was what the 1978 Toyota owners manual calls for. I used to run 195/75-14 hankook on the rear. Now 195/70-15. And 185's do come rated for 1874#s. I try to keep my diameter as close to 26" as possible

https://simpletire.com/hankook-185-r14-2000179-tires

Edited by fred heath