1980s Sunrader - custom window? What is it?

tayloralexandra

Hello! I've been researching online and learning a lot from your forums - thanks for hosting and posting!

I'm trying to figure out what is going on here: http://www.dreamchasersrv.com/inventory/1982-other-sunrader-1817-p042647

Is this a Sunrader with a custom window on the back? And what's on the side above the door? I don't know what the "1817" is; VIN # year says 1981 rather than 1982.

Also, from a more experienced opinion than mine own - is it too rough or is there potential?

Thanks for any info & insight!    :)

it's not the same one our other member pulled out of the bushes I don't think. his was an 84 or 85 with a funky rear window and on the east coast. More Sunrader food trucks than 1

Linda S

Sigmaz is the one I'm thinking of and his Sunrader is an 85. Much better condition than this older one

Pull the rear hubcaps and check the number of lug nuts holding the rear wheels in place. If only 5 lugs its known as a "foolie". They are very dangerous and could cost anywhere from $2-4K to replace with the correct 6 lug, ff axle.

Welcome to our forum.

24 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Pull the rear hubcaps and check the number of lug nuts holding the rear wheels in place. If only 5 lugs its known as a "foolie". They are very dangerous and could cost anywhere from $2-4K to replace with the correct 6 lug, ff axle.

Can't disagree with that other than the cost estimate. I'd say $1000-$2000. Unless you're being taken for a ride. :)

Just axle and wheels can cost a 1000 plus new tires all around usually. Early ones also require welding of spring perches and new brake cables installed. I'd say the 2 to 4 grand is closer for someone who can't do any of the work themselves.

Linda S

Anything that costs money counts. Checked and spring perches and shock mounts need to be changed on the older models. 2 grand minimum but it's on the west coast so probably more. Higher cost of living translates into everything you need especially auto work

Linda S

10 hours ago, Derek up North said:

That Sunrader was at some point converted into a 'food truck'. It was recently pulled out of the bushes. I guess the new owner decided it was too much of a project for him to tackle and is selling it.

9 hours ago, linda s said:

it's not the same one our other member pulled out of the bushes I don't think. his was an 84 or 85 with a funky rear window and on the east coast. More Sunrader food trucks than 1

Linda S

Sigmaz is the one I'm thinking of and his Sunrader is an 85. Much better condition than this older one

9 hours ago, fred heath said:

Welcome to our forum.

Thanks to all - food truck conversion seems very likely and I wonder what's going on with the rear dinette.

Also stumbled on this: https://offerup.com/item/detail/350697046/ Much bigger and more $$, but newer and a V6. And much more livable!!

What are the pertinent questions to ask? Seems like the axle type, roof leaks, age of tires, and mileage/standard of care are the big ones.

3 hours ago, tayloralexandra said:

Thanks to all - food truck conversion seems very likely and I wonder what's going on with the rear dinette.

Also stumbled on this: https://offerup.com/item/detail/350697046/ Much bigger and more $$, but newer and a V6. And much more livable!!

What are the pertinent questions to ask? Seems like the axle type, roof leaks, age of tires, and mileage/standard of care are the big ones.

If the ad is legit, that's a very cheap price for that year motor home. It has the correct axle and front hubs.

There are some flags. The ad was posted 3 months ago yet it's still for sale. A very thorough inspection should be done on both the mechanicals (frame, suspension, engine etc) and the body (accident/water damage). Does the owner have a clear title?.

If everything checks out, that a much better bang for the buck than the sunrader. IMHO

14 hours ago, linda s said:

Anything that costs money counts. Checked and spring perches and shock mounts need to be changed on the older models. 2 grand minimum but it's on the west coast so probably more. Higher cost of living translates into everything you need especially auto work

Linda S

There are so many related expenses in addition to just the axle cost alone. Things like new leaf spring bushings, U-bolts, tear down and inspection/replace bad components on the replacement axle. The 2K number would only work if everything was perfect and it was an exact swap. Real life tells us to budget for the worst and have money left over rather than under estimate and end up in a hole. The standard ASE labor rate on the east coast is $85-100 per hour. It can add up fast.

13 hours ago, fred heath said:

If the ad is legit, that's a very cheap price for that year motor home. It has the correct axle and front hubs.

There are some flags. The ad was posted 3 months ago yet it's still for sale. A very thorough inspection should be done on both the mechanicals (frame, suspension, engine etc) and the body (accident/water damage). Does the owner have a clear title?.

If everything checks out, that a much better bang for the buck than the sunrader. IMHO

Thank you!!! I'll start calling, and continue looking. :) 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I finally got the sunrader that this topic was originally about, delivered to my friends house in Denver last week. It has two water heaters, the rear dinette area is a serving counter and ice box, the thing that is jutting out over the right coach window is still a mystery and I will make a post soon to ask the group what they think. I will post photos as well. It’s a wonderful vehicle and runs and drives like a dream. Build thread to come.