Fuel problem

ben zarate

I'm tired  of looking at my motorhome and not being able to move it cause of fuel pump problem in tank. Will work on it this winter and try to fix it for spring campouts at beach and nearby lakes !!!  Have 1978 16 footer 20r engine . Last used was Cachuma lake in SANTA INEZ. LIVE IN OXNARD. I hope  holidays are good !!!!

1978 was the only year Toyota used a tank mounted electric fuel pump in the pre 1980 trucks. All other years used a mechanical fuel pump. The pumps are still available through places like AutoZone and run about $75.00.

Lowering the fuel tank involves some work but not as bad as you might think. I would replace any factory fabric fuel lines while down there.

If you need the ability to drive to a repair shop there is a stop gap measure you could use. Purchase a Mr. Gasket low pressure electric fuel pump (4-6 gal.) I think it's model 42-S. Remove your inline fuel filter attached near the fire wall and replace with the pump. Be sure the arrow is pointing to the carburetor. You now have 2 electric wires to hook up. (-) to a chassis ground and (+) to any wire that only receives power with the ignition on. You should now be able to pull fuel up through the factory pump to run your engine.

Edited by fred heath

Hi Ben, I am in Oxnard too with my 22RE 21' Dolphin.  I will be doing a fuel tank flush probably next week and have found a great mechanic to work with.  Text or call if you like for more info, maybe he can schedule you in.  323 513 4144

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 1977 Toyota corona wagen    20 R with a electric pump in the tank .as far as I know the 1976 1977 and 1978 trucks celicas and coronas all 20r powered used the in tank pump .