Gas Water Heater Conversion Help

Blake O

Hey guys. So I have my 1986 Escaper here and the previous owner has seemed to have bypassed the gas and converted into electric. But i cant seem to get it to work. I would like to go back to propane but want any knowledge of converting these to electric. The electric heater has to be plugged into AC and the button to turn it on is under the sink. 

My questions are, Can i turn this back into a gas heater? Or should i just go ahead and get a new water heater all around. 5a3ad3ea2af52_Toyotaheater2.thumb.jpg.2110e9775cedb4876c027641847af5af.jpg

Toyota Heater.jpg

Toyota heater 4.jpg

Toyota heater 6.jpg

Edited by Blake O

Time for a VOM. Use the ohm portion and check across the heater element, there should continuity and there be more than 0 ohm, maybe 100-1000 ohms.  If that is good then then use the AV voltmeter to check for correct voltage at various points along the cord.

Thats about all you can check.

OOPs misread the post. It looks like everything is still there.

Is there a separate gas turn off valve for the heater?? If there is close it, if not close the main tank valve, light the stove until it runs out of gas.

There is a pile of what looks like rust below the burner. See if you can remove baffle and clean the burner out. checking for webs and dust  With every thing clean and back together. Fill up the tank with water and turn on the gas (don't forget to shut the stove off)  and try to get the pilot light going. IF its good then open the control valve and see if the burner lights.

It may take a LONG time for the pilot to light because of the lack of use if

Electric conversions are usually done with a hot rod that screws into where the anode tube goes. Hot rod looks like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Conversion-Kit-LIGHTNING-ROD-Water-Heater-6-gallon-Suburban-Atwood/151644706008?epid=1411776456&hash=item234eba94d8:g:cbYAAOSw95FZZh7Q&vxp=mtr

Remove it and replace with regular anode rod. Some go in the back and some are part of the drain system. Since you have wires in the fron I'm just guessing the drain system was used to install

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camco-11533-1-2-Water-Heater-Anode-Rod-with-Drain/372155975077?hash=item56a63985a5:g:4hUAAOSw1QpaI4qD&vxp=mtr

I have not searched for exact parts. Just examples. You would have to make sure you buy the right size and for your maker which is Suburban or for the older ones Mor flow.

Linda S

I have heard several RV owners talk about having electric & gas water heaters.  Why can't he use it with the electric element left in there and use gas when convenient?