Just bought a 76 Chinook Pop top

evereste

It needs work.. but, for $900 seems it might be worth the effort... There's a big gash in roof...the driver side body has taken a hit..but, it all seems to be working and it's pretty much factory...I'll upload pics and ask questions...I'M back!

• 3 weeks later...

The fibreglass is great..just the roof and I found a friend to help me out...so, hoping it won't be too big a job.  We just flushed the engine and put a new oil filter on.. and it seems to run quite well.. I'm thinking of taking out the bunk beds, they really are a pain to set up... The interior is in good shape for its age...I do have to put a new lock on, and hoping to make a decent bed for it... I'm pretty stoked..I don't know much about engines..It has 5 speed 20 R engine, hoping that's a positive thing for power and MPG..No blinkers nor heating tho...so, a few things to try to figure out...I'm pretty stoked tho...I cannot find the blinker 'flasher' switch tho'..and I've torn the whole dash apart..why would a previous owner dismantle such a thing? Hmnn oh well..I need a manual...

Don't discard the bunk bed parts. Many Chinook owners want them and they are hard to find. I hate to send people away from us but the Chinook group on Yahoo has many members and can answer all of your questions. They are a very helpful group. When you get an older RV you need all the resources you can get

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/toyotachinook/info

Linda S

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1978-Toyota-Pickup-Electrical-Wiring-Diagram-Original-P27811.aspx

This is the factory original for 1978. The wiring should be identical to yours with the exception of the in tank fuel pump and any emissions added after 1976.

Yikes!~ $39 for 1 page?

I'd prefer this for the same money. :)

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1978-1984-Toyota-Pickup-Truck-Bentley-Repair-Shop-Manual-Gas-and-Diesel-P22131.aspx

I've never looked at a 'Bentley' for a Hilux, but versions for MGs, VWs and the Toyota Celica are very good. And include wiring diagrams.

Fax on is not cheap. But that one page measures roughly 2'x3'. It allows you to view the entire wiring of the truck similar to the way Google maps lets you view from top down. No matching pages to follow a wire route. This is what Toyota issued to its dealerships.

Haynes also has a good wiring diagram in the back. A little chopped up, but useable.

The early Haynes up to 1978 were designed for the European markets. The descriptions can be confusing sometimes. I.e. Propeller shaft rather than driveshaft.

Edited by fred heath

On 1/4/2018 at 6:50 PM, linda s said:

Don't discard the bunk bed parts. Many Chinook owners want them and they are hard to find. I hate to send people away from us but the Chinook group on Yahoo has many members and can answer all of your questions. They are a very helpful group. When you get an older RV you need all the resources you can get

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/toyotachinook/info

Linda S

Oh. I will keep them and when the day comes...will include them in the sale...That will be a long way off tho' as I've wanted a Chinook for years after a trip in our Dolphin in Utah.. I saw one and fell in love...

..I cannot find the blinker 'flasher' switch tho'..and I've torn the whole dash apart..why would a previous owner dismantle such a thing? Hmnn oh well..I need a manual...

Are  you looking for the "flasher" ?   Like your turn signals do not work?  4way flashers do not work?  do your turn signals lite up, but do not flash?   I'm not clear on your problem.......  My Chinook is not here where I am, but if you clear up my confusion, I will  check my flasher location the next time that I go over to where it is kept...    I THINK that I know what you are saying, but not sure....  donnie

• 2 months later...

Still no luck with 'flasher' tho' we did get the HORN to work... I'm also still struggling to get the cabin lights to work.. two mechanics and a buddy are flummoxed too..I did manage to fix the roof tho', replacing the rods did the trick...

On 1/6/2018 at 11:53 AM, Donnie said:

..I cannot find the blinker 'flasher' switch tho'..and I've torn the whole dash apart..why would a previous owner dismantle such a thing? Hmnn oh well..I need a manual...

Are  you looking for the "flasher" ?   Like your turn signals do not work?  4way flashers do not work?  do your turn signals lite up, but do not flash?   I'm not clear on your problem.......  My Chinook is not here where I am, but if you clear up my confusion, I will  check my flasher location the next time that I go over to where it is kept...    I THINK that I know what you are saying, but not sure....  donnie

Lights all work..just no Blink ..I really need a manual for the 76...