Coast to Coast Flat and Slow

Cynxing

I'm dreaming of a slow creep across the country.  Really slow.  I don't want to reach the snow belt till spring.  I only want to spend 4 hours a day driving on any given day, and not every day.  I want to stay in FHU type places with intervals of dry camping, not too remote.  And mostly, I want to be able to drive 45 - 60 mph without some Corolla goosing my bumper, and travel the flattest route even if it is not the most direct. 

Avoid cities.  Eschew dirt roads.  Somewhere in the middle there are some polite transits for wide-bodied vehicles.  In this case, a modest little 87 Dolphin.  But where are they? 

I have driven across these United States a dozen times, all solo, sometimes well-planned, sometimes "go west young woman." I know how to plan a trip.  But avoiding steep mountain passes has never been a goal before.  What do you know, fellow RV denizens, about the low roads in Winter?

Starting in Oxnard CA and ending in Brattleboro VT.  One small dog as passenger.  Short term Workamper or RV camp jobs (yes I'm registered on those sites) along the way welcome.

Any suggestions for routes and destinations are welcome.

And if this has already been covered in the archives, that's welcome too.  Thanks!

Special app for Toy RV owners and bicyclists.  https://www.flattestroute.com/

Use your mouse on the elevation graph to see where the high points are.

Also the map will try for the most direct route, so try a two step routing. Like SD to Valdosta, then to VT

That's a hard one I live in Maine and have relatives in VT and I can tell you VT ain't flat! Just kidding have fun sounds like you'll have a great adventure. Your little MH actually capable of some pretty good climbs all though it will be  slow often took mine through the notches of Mt Washington on my way to VT.

10 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Cool app. I just tested it. If you select 'bicycle', it keeps you off highways (though probably not off cycle paths). :)

My GPS often could get quite creative if I let it pick the shortest route we got to see some very scenic areas deep in the woods on logging trails. We once meet a pickup coming the other way on one of these "short cuts"  and he thought I should backup the MH about a 1/4 mile or so to the turn out so I had to explain to him that we had food and water and a place to sleep so it probably would be to his benefit if he were to backup.

Wow doing the Cannonball in a Toyota M/H, who would have thunk.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are really going to take your time I would base your trip around the places and landmarks you want to see most.  Great trips are not really about the route but what you get to see and opportunities for the memories you get to make?  What are your favorite hobbies?  What types of activities do you like to experience?  I would my driving route to some of the answers to those questions.