Driver cab heating

ndelorimier

Hi guys ! 

I live in Canada and looking to move in the toyhome full time this winter ... I'm ok with heating the living area but having trouble to heat the driver's cab while driving ... either the blower is starting to die or block or maybe they were just not really powerful when made in the 80's ... I really don't look forward to disassemble the front dash to look at it in the below freezing temp that we have now so i'm looking if any of you could give me a heads up ...

Do any of you have made that repair ? 

Do any of you have the schematic or any can tell me the best and easiest way to access the blower ?

Thanks a bunch 

Use your coach furnace. Leave it running while your driving. Be sure to open any curtains separating the cab from the coach.

A 12V clip on fan could help push the heat to the front if more is needed. Did you check your coolant level to be sure it's full? Proper antifreeze? A plugged core would involve a fair amount of labor to replace. Definitely not something to do in the cold.

I had an 86 Toyota and the heater worked well down to -20.

The first thing to do is look at the cables from the control panel to all the various flaps and such, make sure each one does what its supposed to do and hasn't slipped of the lever.

Next is remove the heater blower motor and make sure its running at full speed. While its out check the heater core for blockages. In 30 years you never what rat built a nest in the heater box or a pile of leaves has filtered down through the cowl vent.

There photos on this site of the junk found in the heater box. You would believe some of them

my rig is a 83 / 84 with the 22r ... i'm currently driving with the furnace on and it't ok but never enough to warm your feet and defrost the window when it's -20 ...

Everything seems fine with the control, I hear the flaps doing their work when I switch the positions and I can fell the the flow of air is going to the right place but it's very week ...

Any of you know where is located the heater blower ? is it fairly easy to get access to it or it require dismanteling the whole dash 

i have done this remove and replaced the heater blower but was in 1987 truck same cab as pict above in those you can drop it out the bottem from under the dash. don t lose the screws they are a special breed.cant remember if you have too take glove box out or not .but remove that is not too hard . dont take dash out . there is also a resister mounted on the heater duct controls the speed if blown maybe no fan speeds . 

max would be a lot better then none for            shure even where i live . i could not recall the details on that but yes i recall that only cuts in on the lower speeds . had moter freze up before 

Edited by 5Toyota

I have an '88 Escaper built on '87 truck.  The fan motor comes out without removing the glove box.  My fan box was packed totally full by a bunch of mice.  One mouse could not haul that amount of garbage.  There where leaves, insulation, carpeting, and much more.  The fan would not turn at all.  After getting all of the garbage out of the fan box, I used a shop vac to clean out all of the duct work under the dash.  Some of it I sucked out and some had to be blown out.  

is your engine reaching full  temperature  ?     If your engine can not reach normal temperature due to extreme cold, the warm heater air will not be so warm.  Have you ever seen trucks with the front of their radiators covered? 

Yeah ... thats my second problem that i need to tackle ... temp gauge is mostly never reaching proper engine heat. I Have tested the gauge sender which seems to be alright so i was planing to check if the thermostat was still in place .. Still I wanted to get the low airflow problem first 

This is my AC evaporator from my 93 Sea Breeze.  It is not a nest, the evaporator is packed with debris.  You don't have AC you say, then your heater core may look like this!    This may be a worse case scenario, but most people do not open them up to see. 

evaporator 2.jpg

I absolutely can't believe you aren't uncomfortably warm just from transmission bell heat alone if this is a 22re ....while the heater in my 86 rages hot most of the time the floor of the truck is super warm from the sheer punishment being put on that overworked tranny. That does it I need to do an Alaska trip

Did someone say Alaska?  I am trying to convince my wife that we need to take that trip.  

On 12/15/2017 at 8:13 PM, Bob C said:

I have an '88 Escaper built on '87 truck.  The fan motor comes out without removing the glove box.  My fan box was packed totally full by a bunch of mice.  One mouse could not haul that amount of garbage.  There where leaves, insulation, carpeting, and much more.  The fan would not turn at all.  After getting all of the garbage out of the fan box, I used a shop vac to clean out all of the duct work under the dash.  Some of it I sucked out and some had to be blown out.  

Yep the little critters are very fast too, that would be the very first thing I would go after as long as the engine was making heat.

Yes check thermostat, some POs replaced the factory stat with a lower temp aftermarket one. This is one place where Toyota OEM is what you need. It should be 195*

A 180 will cost you a bunch heat.

• 2 weeks later...

Also check for cold air blasting in from a vent on the right wall of the cab just ahead of the passenger door and below the dash--about shin high.  This vent will always be open to the outside and is NOT connected to the cab heat. I taped scrap cardboard over it.  Also the inside door release handles usually blast outside air into the cab.  I jammed facial tissue in, but every time I open the door from inside the tissue falls out.  There was enough cold air to make it worth my while to replace it every time.

• 1 month later...

I took the door panels off and used a plastic garbage bag to seal up the inside of the door.  I used some caulk ribbon to hold the plastic in place and then added tape to make sure that everything was sealed.  After putting it back together I found that I pretty much stopped the air leaks.  I didn't think this up, it was factory original in my 1982 toyota SR5 pickup.  I was surprised it was not in my 1987 Toyota one ton.  Maybe only in the fancier SR5?

• 4 weeks later...

WME is spot on I have a 195 in my 87 xtra cab and my 87 dolphin the heater will roast you out . but as old as that unit of his if po            have not kept up on antifreeze changes the heater core could be blocked  internaly I had a 1978 that was like that  and a dodge van.

Good ! We're starting to get some good weather  ( over 0 deg celcius i mean ..... yeaaahhh canada .... ) So i'll do a complete antifreeze flush when i'll check for the thermostat. Up till now i'v been able to plug up a lot of air leak so it helps a lot but still ... happy that spring is on the doorstep