83 Rader Leaf Spring Bushings toasted in 2months??

hey all. I replaced the rear leaf spring bushings about 2 months ago as mine were in bad shape. 

within 2 months time they looked like this and are junked... i used moog bushings.. all 8 where replaced and they all look like this!

anyone deal with this? should i be looking for polyurethane ones? 

43C1CF45-C93B-479B-80BA-5AE9DE41251D.png

On 12/13/2017 at 3:29 AM, linda s said:

Wow something was certainly wrong about those bushings. you need to send a pic to Moog and complain.

Linda S

i know right? your not using heavy duty bushings or anything right? just factory? 

On 12/13/2017 at 2:16 AM, AbleThought said:

hey all. I replaced the rear leaf spring bushings about 2 months ago as mine were in bad shape. 

within 2 months time they looked like this and are junked... i used moog bushings.. all 8 where replaced and they all look like this!

anyone deal with this? should i be looking for polyurethane ones?

Was it you who replaced them or did you pay someone to do it? From the picture, it looks like they've been installed for many years.

I changed all of mine when I replaced my leaf springs. There's no way the bushing in that picture is only 2 months old. That looks like a factory original. They usually split like that when removing the pin.

If you paid a garage or shop for the work, I'd go back a get a refund.

For future reference, it's your right to request any old parts be returned to you.

Edited by fred heath

3 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Was it you who replaced them or did you pay someone to do it? From the picture, it looks like they've been installed for many years.

my brother in law and i did it. they were definatly replaced 100 percent. only 2 months ago. all of the rubber stuff under the truck needed replacing. ( the rig came from texas) very dry down there. 

they do look like they have been on there a while but they have not. install was very easy too.. so odd.

3 hours ago, fred heath said:

I changed all of mine when I replaced my leaf springs. There's no way the bushing in that picture is only 2 months old. That looks like a factory original. They usually split like that when removing the pin.

If you paid a garage or shop for the work, I'd go back a get a refund.

For future reference, it's your right to request any old parts be returned to you.

hi fred i know they look old but they just arent! 100 percent i was right there when we did it. 

i got even newer ones and im gonna see what happens.. both me and my mechanic are quite baffeled.

any chance you remember the brand you got? have you looked at them recently? still in good shape?

It's a head scratcher for sure. I'm not sure how the shackles work on your year (mines a 1978) but there is a plate that has to be removed on the front shackle brackets before the bushings will fit correctly. If I remember the sequence correctly, you install the inboard bushing into the leaf spring then lift it into the shackle bracket. With the cover plate removed install the outboard bushing into the leaf spring then reinstall the cover plate. Do all the bushings look the same? Or is just the ones from the front shackles?

Edited by fred heath

If you installed the bushings unloaded (springs hanging)  and tightened everything up then put the full weight back on the springs that could have caused your problem because that would have twisted the bushings as you put weight on the springs way beyond their normal range. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2017 at 9:05 AM, Maineah said:

If you installed the bushings unloaded (springs hanging)  and tightened everything up then put the full weight back on the springs that could have caused your problem because that would have twisted the bushings as you put weight on the springs way beyond their normal range. 

I'm thinking the same " if the gentleman tightened everything up with the vehicle wheels off the floor " that would cause the bushings to twist way past there travel.