Just Starting: My 1978 Dolphin Micro Mini

1 hour ago, WME said:

The Pic aint pics. They are links to posts where Toys in bad shape were repaired, including Neubie's . You should see them if signed in on a computer.

Derek can you check to see if there is a problem?

When you paste a link, the forum software does its magic and generates a title and picture for it. Some times it goofs. This is one of those times. Only some browsers or configurations show them. Nothing I have tried has presented anything but a blank space for all the links. This includes most mobile browsers, linux/firefox. I do have quite a few features turned off in browsers and a fairly low limit on the largest pictures it can automatically download to not slow down browsing. Probably has something to do with that.

I try not to eat extra cookies or take scripts or embedded stuff or remote fonts or the hundred other tracking things that are done. Probably all still immaterial/useless for privacy or security  but it improves interaction speed considerably at the cost of some missed media and a few squiggles instead of words.

Edited by neubie

4 hours ago, Derek up North said:

A P245/60R14 is rated for (IIRC) 1675lb. More than enough for a wee one with a GVWR of 4600lb.

Yeah, the load index on the front tires is 96 (1,565lb) and the rear tires have an index of 98 (1,653lb), so they could handle a GVWR in the ballpark of 6,400lb, with the weight only slightly distributed to the rear. I'd love to put this thing on a scale and see how the weight is distributed empty, once I have it done. I'd like to keep my weight well under the limit, especially considering the rear axel. 

The roof needs to be fully repaired before covering with the EPDM material. Other wise you will have a waterproof rotten roof. A lot of the rot is a fungus and will continue to spread the rot. End result is a roof failure.

7 hours ago, notbadbutgood said:

Yeah, the load index on the front tires is 96 (1,565lb) and the rear tires have an index of 98 (1,653lb), so they could handle a GVWR in the ballpark of 6,400lb, with the weight only slightly distributed to the rear. I'd love to put this thing on a scale and see how the weight is distributed empty, once I have it done. I'd like to keep my weight well under the limit, especially considering the rear axel. 

Well, well under. Axle failures are no fun. You have access to toy mechanics. Floating axles do pop up fairly cheaply compared to the other expense you are planning. Why not over-engineer and be safe? You can do all the bilstein shocks and air bags and stuff all at once. Instead of doing brakes now, bearings later, lines latest?

4 hours ago, WME said:

The roof needs to be fully repaired before covering with the EPDM material. Other wise you will have a waterproof rotten roof. A lot of the rot is a fungus and will continue to spread the rot. End result is a roof failure.

Right. Let a piece of cheese develop mold, then take a good whiff of it. Thats how the roof will be smelling unless parked in the desert sun six months straight. And even if, the first person setting foot will be landing in the living room. The wood quality is integral to the metal ply foam ply sandwich. foam by itself will let metal flex and a fraction of an inch thin aluminium wont hold 5 pounds.

Edited by neubie

1 hour ago, neubie said:

Well, well under. Axle failures are no fun. You have access to toy mechanics. Floating axles do pop up fairly cheaply compared to the other expense you are planning. Why not over-engineer and be safe? You can do all the bilstein shocks and air bags and stuff all at once. Instead of doing brakes now, bearings later, lines latest?

There are no axle recalls  on the single wheel rigs. Could do with higher load rated tires and servicing bearings at this age would be a good idea. Even regular truck axles can fail if the bearings wear too much. I see no reason for the expense of a full floater

Linda S

19 minutes ago, linda s said:

There are no axle recalls  on the single wheel rigs. Could do with higher load rated tires and servicing bearings at this age would be a good idea. Even regular truck axles can fail if the bearings wear too much. I see no reason for the expense of a full floater

Linda S

Linda,

Point taken. But would the expense, if incurred extravagently provide additional safety margin on these too?  There is also the "convenience" of limping with one blown tire. I admit this is not a straightforward replacement in any case, nor cheap.

Edited by neubie

No limping required. All the wheels have the same lug pattern even if you buy wider ones for the rear. just use your spare. A full floater is stronger, yes, but it's also a lot heavier. Enough to impact the performance of this tiny rig? Maybe

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2017 at 10:47 PM, neubie said:
On 12/8/2017 at 9:28 PM, neubie said:

Been a couple weeks here, any updates original poster?

So, nothing exciting, I'm afraid.

My dad and I put the RV under a giant tarp, so that it's protected from the elements, and I did confirm that it's NOT burning oil, but rather coolant. I knew there was likely a coolant leak (due to smell), so it was nice to have that confirmed. The entire drive train is sound, other than my synchro issues, which really aren't a big deal right now. 

I had to return to Colorado for a couple of months for work, but I'll be returning to Ohio in February to continue work! I'll have photos then. In the meantime, I'm purchasing materials from here and having them delivered to my parents' house (where the camper lives right now). 

I was in Ohio for a few weeks when I originally posted, and I spent my time assessing, drafting project plans, measuring, etc. As well as consulting this fine community, which lent to making adjustments to the plan! 

Anyway, I'll be somewhat quiet for another month and a half or so, as not much will happen, but I'll provide more meaty updates once I'm back with Saoirse. ;) 

"I enjoy mechanical work, and purposely chose an older model car because I enjoy the frustration of working on cars. Not that I WANT things to break or for this to be constantly in disrepair; not at all! More that I enjoy the process of making something old run well again. "

Oh man, you sound just like me. Had a dozen older cars in my life and never a new one yet. Also old boats, motorcycles, RVs, etc.

I see many helpful people on this site advising you its not worth fixing up and you are going to loose money. That is good advice for most people but not guys like us.

If I had your rig in my driveway right now I would totally restore it. It wouldn't bother me a bit if it took me a year. I would be excited everyday to get out there and work on it.

Many on this site are great sources of expertise so you have come to the right place for advice.

When you are ready to change out the motor to a six cylinder, which I just did, I would be happy to assist if needed.

Ed

49 minutes ago, ednelson100 said:

When you are ready to change out the motor to a six cylinder, which I just did, I would be happy to assist if needed.

Thanks a bunch, Ed! For the offer to assist and the vote of confidence! I'm loving the practical feedback of the forums so far (even if I disagree with the few who would consider this a waste of time ;))

• 5 months later...

Hello, friends! 

I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, and certainly haven't given up. :)

From the start, I've planned on this being a multi-year project. Mostly because I'm keeping and working on it in Ohio...and I live in Colorado. However, my timeline is still pretty much the same as it was in my initial post, and thus plan on having it drive-ready by September so that I can drive it back to Colorado and finish my work on it there. 

It's been tarped since I dropped it off here in November, and the few trips home I've made have been spent building schematics. Not blueprints, per se, but certainly getting accurate measurements of everything, making copious notations, and study. 

My uncle (the certified Toyota mechanic) has been doing some work, and other than repairing the known issues, has only recommended swapping the 20R with the 22R, which apparently was a better engine? He has, however, given the truck chassis his stamp of approval, so that's good. 

Some specific updates: 

1. The white smoke was indeed from a coolant leak, not an engine issue. Whew!

2. I decided to go with a product I found on Amazon for the roof. Honestly? Cost was the main factor. Trying to keep this on a strict budget.

3. The rot inside wasn't nearly as extensive as I'd thought, but there is certainly a lot to replace. The beauty of the Micro Mini, though, is that it's already tiny, so any repair work is subsequently tiny as well. ;)

4. I've decided to keep all of the cabinetry intact, and simply paint the interior. Not really any justifiable reason to completely gut the interior. 

5. I am, however, going to go ahead and redo the galley altogether. I just don't need a 4-range stove and oven. I'm going to replace it with a 2-range stove, and convert the space where the oven was to storage. While I'm at it, I'm going to replace the sink basin with a twofer. 

6. As of right now, I've pulled off all of the cabinetry doors, hardware, and fixtures. I've pulled the ceiling off and removed all of the older fiberglass insulation. I'm ready for a sunny day to pull off the roof and replace it, which I plan to do within the next month. 

7. The flooring and interior ceiling will be next, along with painting the whole of the interior and replacing the cabinet hardware.

Here's an update video, if anyone's interested...

Your 20R engine has a double chain timing system and a much better head flow. Indestructible. Your block is the same as the 22r just not bored out as much. Some do an upgrade and put the 20r head on an early 22r block for more horsepower. Google it

Linda S

• 2 months later...

Love your motivation to save a classic! I have one of the early sunraders built on a 78 chassis (same body style as yours) that needed a complete remodel and everything repaired. I knew parts would be a pain to source but I must say, one of the best looking Toyota pickups ever made. I have definitely spent more on it than it is worth but something about keeping one of these on the road makes it all worth it.

I will definitely keep an eye on this one!