Any idea on how to get rid of or hide water stains on the headliner on 85 Sunrader? Can it be painted, if so with what kind of paint? Also whats a replacement for the god awful ugly shag carpet around the door and round the back of the cab? Is vinyl flooring better than laminate for the replacement of the shag on the floor?

Kilz is certainly a well known stain-blocking primer. I know nothing about the material of a Sunrader's headliner or how Kilz might work on it. My 1st thought when I read your plight was to suggest using a 'Fabric/Vinyl dye', but again, I've no idea how it would work in your Sunrader's case, with or without Kilz.

Painting on fabric can be done but it often means you still have stains, just a different color. Best case is to replace the headliner. Headliner is also a good material to replace the old shag in the back wall too. Under that carpet is the raw fiberglass and no insulation. Headliner has a foam backing that will give you some needed insulation. They make special spray glue just for headliner. Practice on something else first. Cover everything it might come in contact with.

Linda S

I guess if the headliner is in otherwise good condition, it wouldn't hurt to experiment before replacing. :)

https://duplicolor.com/product/vinyl-and-fabric-coating

Probably the darker colors would hide the stains better, at the expense of ...

But maybe spraying it all darker (as a 'primer') to even things out followed by a lighter color might work.

Try using an Oxiclean mix to remove the stain instead of covering it up with paint.

• 2 weeks later...

there is an all natural enzymatic mold and mildew remover sold at costco in blue jugs that look like wiper fluid. super cheap and it literally erases the stain magically; just keep it wet for a couple treatments and boom stains be gone.

• 2 years later...

For replacing the shag around the door and walls, does anyone have a spray on adhesive that they like? 

There are many out there and I have found them to be hit or miss in the past.

Are there any other methods used to get that stuff to stick? I'm afraid to rip it out until I have a better idea of what I'm going to replace it with. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!  I'm a newbie to posting but have been closely following since buying a 85 Sunrader last November.  I have some recent experience trying to get headliner to adhere to the fiberglass shell:

Permatex Heavy duty headliner and carpet adhesive:  no joy.

3M Super Trim Adhesive:  no better than the Permatex

Misty foam and fabric spray adhesive:  This stuff works and is the least expensive of the lot.  Quick and easy to apply without much overspray.  I got it from a fabric store.  Product A00317.  Not too bad with odors.  

Also tried double backed Gorilla tape.  Seemed like it was going to work but came down after 2 days.  

(None of this stuff is what I would call cheap. )  

Good luck.

Roy

Also, regarding flooring:  I just put down the vinyl stuff and the next time it will be better.  Be aware that the factory shag hides a million problems.  Make sure that your floor is absolutely flat if you  intend to use the interlocking LVP planks.