Hello All,

Have had 87 Toyota Dolphin for almost a month now.  The previous owner left me two quarts of Castrol GTX 20W/50.  Anyone care to guess why he would use that or leave it for me?  Am I missing something here?  I saw the 15W/40 recommendation for metal wear protection...?  Am going to do an oil change and would like to make a good choice going forward.  Geographically, in CA now, and hopefully eventually headed to VT.

I seen a guy use some higher weight oil like 80w 90 gear oil to quite down some internal engine noises because of worn rod and main bearings. I hope that an't the case with yours .  

2 hours ago, cjac said:

I seen a guy use some higher weight oil like 80w 90 gear oil to quite down some internal engine noises because of worn rod and main bearings. I hope that an't the case with yours .  

He was probably fooling himself. Similar viscosities.

" Grade 5 AGMA-rated oil has the same viscosity as ISO 220, 50 weight SAE engine oil and 90W SAE gear oil. "

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/04/18/tech-101-what-oil-viscosity-ratings-mean/

No real need I think the PO read too many race mags. 10W40 is what is recommended and will do fine coast to coast. 

• 3 weeks later...

guss I been wrong all these 45 years I have a dodge I use 15 40 in but in my old high mile Toyota xtra cab and my dolphin have always run 20w50 .   used that penz for twenty years in a datsun . now less money using wallmart 20 w 50 but here in eastern Washington outdoor temp 110 to a low of say 96 could fry an egg on my hood yes sir fry my hands on a wrench set out for 10 minits LOL. Derek   is spot on                                  that is not my problem eather but if you want to raise the oil pressure gage with worn bearings. that is an old trick .

now you know how the snake oil men sell bad used cars put a pint of bardauls no smoke in it on top of some heavy oil might not  nock long enough to sell it some unsuspecting person . that stuff is about as thick as stp super thick. and the oil gadge will be up where it belongs till you change oil .

Edited by 5Toyota