Hi All,

My new-to-me 87 Dolphin is riding a bit low and bouncy.  I can see in the 2015 photos from the seller that the body rides well above the rims, whereas now, it sits far lower.  Visual inspection yielded a blown right air suspension bag.  Right now it's riding on bow springs and shock absorbers.

Regarding the shock absorbers, one faces fore, and the other aft.  I thought they were supposed to go the same direction. Any comments on that?

But mostly I want to replace the air suspension system.  I see there are kits for around $270 out there.  Before I go researching on YouTube how the thing is done, any warnings, caveats, cheerleading from the Folks in the Know?  Thanks!

Check lines and fittings for leaks. If the bag is actuality blown the easiest fix is to buy the same model replacement bag.

A different maker kit may have a different mounting method that can complicate a new install.

Definitely blown on the Right side.  Already did the soap bubble spray test even though the cracks at the base are clearly visible.  Needle on the gauge also sank obviously.  When I replace the bags I'll be doing all of the hoses too.  Not sure how to determine what the maker / model is.  The bag is black plastic and doesn't have any obvious markings or codes on it.

The link Derek gave you has a post by "Waiter" a former moderator here and a very experienced Toyota camper guy. His 1988 Dolphin had the T9 bags and yours probably does too. Take a picture and show us might help. Also Waiter gives some tips about the bolt in the mounting attachments. Follow them

Linda S

Staggered shocks are normal in newer solid rear axle cars.

They help keep the rear wheels planted when you spinning the rear wheels on a full power drag race start, by preventing axle hop. I'm sure your glad to know that you can drag race your toy house:clown2:

Here is the blown bag.  It's about the size and shape of a canning jar. There are fissures all along the bottom edge.  It doesn't look like the ones I've seen on google.

Re: drag racing, would that be only with other vintage Toy Campers?  Or do I have a shot at something more grand?

air shock bag damage.JPG

air shock bag.JPG

Plan B  http://timbren.com/ses-kit-lookup/  

You might have a go against the new Dodge Demon, the driver might be laughing so hard he would miss the green light

Air suspension kit ordered from 3T.  It is now $251.95 and I was told it would be shipped out "sometime next week."  The extension 16 doesn't work anymore btw.

• 3 weeks later...

Did it, Done it, new airbags are on.  Drives like a bouncy house now. It is still riding a little lower on the passenger side.  Do the bags have to sort of settle in?  Like new guitar springs or a house foundation?

Springs probably shot.  I know the bushings are shot. 

The dead airbags looked nothing like the new ones.  But close examination showed the Firestone label faintly on the inside.  Clearly this job has been done before because there was no issue with the support plate.

I have put the right up to 80 and the left to 40 to try to even out.  Funny, I always thought of myself more as left-leaning.  Maybe the rig is trying to compensate. 

IMG_8668.JPG

Great got that out of the way!   It is common for one side to take higher psi than the other to level coach.  I have not heard of bags needed to settle in??  I am only guessing but suspect that the right spring is weak unless there is a lot of excess weight on the left side.  Mostly hear 10 to 20 psi difference. 

right passenger side tends to sag more on the springs because thats where people get in and out all the time from in the rear; thus the rear passenger springs take the beating

Ouch.  That makes sense.  The PO and sPOuse were more, um, formidably formed than the Dolphin really needed.  He made the driver's seat into a bucket... without a pillow under me I can't see over the steering wheel. :blink: