Carb AKA Fast Idle 84 Nissan 720 Chassis 18Footer Sunrader

Wondering if anyone has suggestions. Starts on first crank but idles remains fast. Warms up idle sometimes drops slightly but never to the 9K it's supposed to drop to. I don't have a RPM gauge but it's at least 2 to three times over where it should be. Any info is appreciated. Yes I do 100% of my own work but I am not a mechanic by trade. NOTE" I've read ( have copy ) of a strange relay that sits under the dash on the passenger side to the right underneath of the glove box that has a wiring cluster...with a relay that...could be part of or the problem. NOTE: when I turn the key...not to start just to DC activate battery - making system connection ( what you do to use your radio while auto is not running )... I hear a click at that spot...very distinct relay toggle sound...???? Engine always starts right up. BUT. if I do not tap the gas peddle...at least once it will turn over but not start...an ever so slight tap...it starts turn the key without a tap...won't start...  Chime in if you have any ideas suggestions or questions... Thanks 

Don't really know the Nissan. Is an '84 carbed or injected? Tapping the accelerator might be setting the choke, if it's carbed. If carbed, your fast idle problem might be sticking linkage.

EDIT. A bit of Googling and it looks like your '84 would have the carbed Z24 engine. I'd start by lubing all the carb linkage.

Your 24z engine is carbed, not injected and yes they need gas to start. Have you tried adjusting the idle. Have you checked that the automatic choke is working and all vacuum hoses are good. You really need a manual for this stuff so you have some diagrams and can see how everything connects.

Linda S