Jump to content
MischaT

Upgrading the Foolies

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

And count teeth so you can be certain that it's (the most common) 4.10:1 ratio.

This is if I go with FF duallys right? I'm not seeing singles with that ratio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-End-Axle-Differential-Assembly4Wd-Fits-86-95-Toyota-Pickup/322674169201?fits=Make%3AToyota|Model%3APickup&hash=item4b20e11571:g:W94AAOSw8UZZ8Lwg&vxp=mtr

IF you go to singles, measure your old axle backing plate to backing plate. See if you can find a pickup rear axle that is wider. Cutting the spring mounts to fit is not backyard stuff but for a proper shop its common. The wider axle will help make the MH more stable.

Edited by WME

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WME said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-End-Axle-Differential-Assembly4Wd-Fits-86-95-Toyota-Pickup/322674169201?fits=Make%3AToyota|Model%3APickup&hash=item4b20e11571:g:W94AAOSw8UZZ8Lwg&vxp=mtr

IF you go to singles, measure your old axle backing plate to backing plate. See if you can find a pickup rear axle that is wider. Cutting the spring mounts to fit is not backyard stuff but for a proper shop its common. The wider axle will help make the MH more stable.

I don't think he wants an axle from a 4x4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I don't think he wants an axle from a 4x4.

OOPs. Didn't see that...However plan B... The chunks should be interchangeable Find the right axle and just change gear carrier.

Edited by WME

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You probably have the GO82 axle. The older toys had a smaller chassis than later models. Relocating the spring perch's is a must if you go with a later model axle.

Any way you go it's going to cost some money to make the change.

Are you close enough to home to have your toy towed? If you are, that would be my suggestion. Then you can look at replacement options without the stress of being stranded.

Also, try to find a truck garage to do the work. Their bays can fit your toy in. Good luck.

If you can find a 1975-78 Toyota pickup rear axle it should be a straight swap. It will have the 7.5 ring gear instead of the 8". You're light enough to get away with it as long as you stay with SINGLE rear wheels.

Edited by fred heath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't had my 1st coffee of the day so probably dangerous to post anything. But why are we looking at replacing the complete axle assembly with another non-FF axle assembly? Would simply replacing the one broken axle shaft not do the job if the plan is to run single wheels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

I haven't had my 1st coffee of the day so probably dangerous to post anything. But why are we looking at replacing the complete axle assembly with another non-FF axle assembly? Would simply replacing the one broken axle shaft not do the job if the plan is to run single wheels?

Simple Answer. (I've had my coffee 😊).

No one stocks these axle anymore. I did exhaustive research before upgrading my axle. The local Toyota dealer couldn't even get them from Japan.

The only option would be to have them custom made. I found a shop that would do a pair for $700.00. I would still need to ship my old axle shaft to them for measurement.

Personally, I'd do my swap. But I'm not sure what the budget is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Or buy one from a junkyard. :)

Axles.jpg

You need the GO82 axle shafts. Standard p/u will not work. Different lengths and spline count.

The only used axle shafts would have to come from another mh or box truck with the same axle (if you can find one). And do you really want to take a chance? This is why they show a left and right side. The 8" shafts are interchangeable, there is no left and right.

I spent 2 weeks looking with no luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×