Upgrading the Foolies

MischaT

So my axle snapped off as I was cruising down the highway. Not that it hasn't been said here before, but I now highly recommend upgrading from the fake duallys! Hopefully you'll do it before this happens to you. Pretty terrifying to be fishtailing back and forth, I was lucky I got it under control and pull over to the breakdown lane. 

That being said... can anyone point me in the right direction for info on the upgrade? I know it's been gone over somewhere on here before. Specifically, I'm curious what to look for and where for the new full floating axle.

Thanks!

Mischa

IMG_3642.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

some possibilities. remember your looking for parts for 1986 or newer and you need wheels too

Linda S

Dealer Info Dist
mile
Rear Axle Assembly
Toyota Truck
3.0L,AT,RWD 221,470 C 160173 $700 Randy's Auto USA-ME(Auburn) Request_Quote 1-877-352-4898 Request_Insurance_Quote
LiveChat_space.gif
Rear Axle Assembly
Toyota Truck
DUELLY     B12096 $600 Amherst Oakham Auto Recycling USA-MA(Oakham) Request_Quote 1-800-992-0441 Request_Insurance_Quote
LiveChat_space.gif
Rear Axle Assembly
Toyota Truck
430 RATIO DUAL 1 TON 0 A 100003 $Call Wing's Used Auto Parts USA-MA(Tewksbury) Request_Quote 978-851-8100/1-800-527-1466 Request_Insurance_Quote
LiveChat_space.gif

Probably doable with your little home. Single 14" rims on a 5-lug axle. 185R14 LR D tires rated @ 1875lb each @ 65psi. Or 'upgrade' to 195R14 LR D. 2094lb @ 65psi. Downside is a larger diameter changing gearing a bit.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lionhart-LH-HTS-195R14-106-104R-BW/341169827

Are you anywhere near to Colchester? To get an axle from Rathe's or Richards?

22 hours ago, MischaT said:

So my axle snapped off as I was cruising down the highway. Not that it hasn't been said here before, but I now highly recommend upgrading from the fake duallys! Hopefully you'll do it before this happens to you. Pretty terrifying to be fishtailing back and forth, I was lucky I got it under control and pull over to the breakdown lane. 

That being said... can anyone point me in the right direction for info on the upgrade? I know it's been gone over somewhere on here before. Specifically, I'm curious what to look for and where for the new full floating axle.

Thanks!

Mischa

IMG_3642.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

Sorry about your problem, good you are OK.    One of the FB members in Vermont has a 6 lug for sale, with no rims for $500.   He is a mechanic so may be able to help you out. I believe he is located in Orleans if that is any help.  Let me know.

1 hour ago, jjrbus said:

Sorry about your problem, good you are OK.    One of the FB members in Vermont has a 6 lug for sale, with no rims for $500.   He is a mechanic so may be able to help you out. I believe he is located in Orleans if that is any help.  Let me know.

Hmmm... How would I go about finding this person?

Hi , MischaT I’m the guy on the FB group with the 6 lug axel, it came out of an 88 Uhaul box truck and I’m in the process of replacing the brakes and seals. What year is your Toy? Some of the late 70s and early 80s had a different spring mount width and require a lot more work to install, others on here may know more about that. My shop is too small to get a MH inside and I’m done working in the yard for the winter. 

21 minutes ago, loghausmotors said:

Hi , MischaT I’m the guy on the FB group with the 6 lug axel, it came out of an 88 Uhaul box truck and I’m in the process of replacing the brakes and seals. What year is your Toy? Some of the late 70s and early 80s had a different spring mount width and require a lot more work to install, others on here may know more about that. My shop is too small to get a MH inside and I’m done working in the yard for the winter. 

This sounds interesting. My camper is a 1977. Is there anything I can check out to see if its the right mount width? Anyone on here know?

I have it at a shop currently, I told they guy I'd try and see what I could find for an axle and he said it was about a half days work to do the swap when I find one. He was pretty adamant on convincing me to buy one from Arizona and have it shipped because of rust problems and moisture freezing/thawing when they're sitting for a long time. Any thoughts on this? I'm trying to get out of this predicament spending as little as possible since I am trying to sell the camper, but I also don't want to cut corners and screw over the next owner.

Here is a option http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyota-off-road-parts/79-95-4runner-hilux-pickup/axles.html these are heavy duty axles from the off road guys, your camper is in the weight range that you can get by with single wheel. the Foolies actually exasperate the breakage do to the increased leverage of the outside wheel. One thing for sure these things don't break from the excess power.

1 hour ago, loghausmotors said:

Did not know you were a member here Larry!   My work is done here, so I will go play with my toy :lol:

Here are some pictures of the Full Floating Dually axle for sale near me for $500. I have several questions about it:

1) Does anyone know if the mounts with match up with mine? Apparently there is some variation in that.

2) Similar question for drive train. Same yolks?

3) If I went ahead with this one, does anyone know where I could find some dually rims?

4) I was leaning toward scraping duallys altogether and going for singles, but not sure where to look. I checked a locale yard and there wasn't anything. I really appreciate the tips I was given on where to find a good FF dually axle... Anyone know where to find a cheap single axle?

Thanks

Mischa

IMG_6681.JPG

IMG_6682.JPG

IMG_6683.JPG

Edited by MischaT

You need to measure how wide your springs are apart. Then measure the width of the spring mounts on the axle. This is "the big deal" If they match its easy switch. The gear ratio should be 4.10.

Minor hiccups that are an easy fix are the emergency brake cable and POSSIBLY the drive shaft flange.

You should rebuild the axle while its out (Bearings and seals) With the chunk out look carefully at the gear teeth for chips and wear. Spin the flange and check for noises and smoothness.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-End-Axle-Differential-Assembly4Wd-Fits-86-95-Toyota-Pickup/322674169201?fits=Make%3AToyota|Model%3APickup&hash=item4b20e11571:g:W94AAOSw8UZZ8Lwg&vxp=mtr

IF you go to singles, measure your old axle backing plate to backing plate. See if you can find a pickup rear axle that is wider. Cutting the spring mounts to fit is not backyard stuff but for a proper shop its common. The wider axle will help make the MH more stable.

Edited by WME

11 minutes ago, WME said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-End-Axle-Differential-Assembly4Wd-Fits-86-95-Toyota-Pickup/322674169201?fits=Make%3AToyota|Model%3APickup&hash=item4b20e11571:g:W94AAOSw8UZZ8Lwg&vxp=mtr

IF you go to singles, measure your old axle backing plate to backing plate. See if you can find a pickup rear axle that is wider. Cutting the spring mounts to fit is not backyard stuff but for a proper shop its common. The wider axle will help make the MH more stable.

I don't think he wants an axle from a 4x4.

3 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I don't think he wants an axle from a 4x4.

OOPs. Didn't see that...However plan B... The chunks should be interchangeable Find the right axle and just change gear carrier.

Edited by WME

You probably have the GO82 axle. The older toys had a smaller chassis than later models. Relocating the spring perch's is a must if you go with a later model axle.

Any way you go it's going to cost some money to make the change.

Are you close enough to home to have your toy towed? If you are, that would be my suggestion. Then you can look at replacement options without the stress of being stranded.

Also, try to find a truck garage to do the work. Their bays can fit your toy in. Good luck.

If you can find a 1975-78 Toyota pickup rear axle it should be a straight swap. It will have the 7.5 ring gear instead of the 8". You're light enough to get away with it as long as you stay with SINGLE rear wheels.

Edited by fred heath

18 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

I haven't had my 1st coffee of the day so probably dangerous to post anything. But why are we looking at replacing the complete axle assembly with another non-FF axle assembly? Would simply replacing the one broken axle shaft not do the job if the plan is to run single wheels?

Simple Answer. (I've had my coffee ?).

No one stocks these axle anymore. I did exhaustive research before upgrading my axle. The local Toyota dealer couldn't even get them from Japan.

The only option would be to have them custom made. I found a shop that would do a pair for $700.00. I would still need to ship my old axle shaft to them for measurement.

Personally, I'd do my swap. But I'm not sure what the budget is.

3 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Or buy one from a junkyard. :)

Axles.jpg

You need the GO82 axle shafts. Standard p/u will not work. Different lengths and spline count.

The only used axle shafts would have to come from another mh or box truck with the same axle (if you can find one). And do you really want to take a chance? This is why they show a left and right side. The 8" shafts are interchangeable, there is no left and right.

I spent 2 weeks looking with no luck.