Strong propane odor when running furnace!

So when I use my stove and water heater absolutely no propane smell or problems.  Now all of the sudden when I was using my furnace I started smelling propane inside.  I went outside immediately to turn it off at the tank and the smell was really strong outside and the regulator was frosted over hardcore!  I disconnected the tank and it seemed like there was an excessive amount of pressure in the line.  I tried it again last night and same thing happened- used the stove with no propane smell or frost on the regulator then fired up the furnace And got a massive propane odor and a frosted up regulator.  Is it a problem with the regulator or the furnace itself?  Thanks so much

If you have a single stage regulator this is common and the reason every thing now days is a 2 stage regulator.. The furnace draws the most fuel of all the appliances.

The single stage drops the pressure in one step and the propane gets cold eventually frosting the regulator.

More info   http://www.propane101.com/propaneregulatorfreezing.htm

Of course you could have a bad regulator with a torn diaphragm.

I have a normal BBQ grill propane tank laying on its side in the compartment.  That article made it sound like that could be my problem.  Do I need a special tank to be positioned horizontally?  

P.S. Just got back from my First real trip in the Dolphin - ( 3 hr drive to the Oregon Coast and 3 days of driving up and down the coast and back home).  I could not be happier with how it drove and preformed!  60-70mph no problem and real easy and fun to drive!

Liquid propane is extremely dangerous once pressure is removed it expands to 270 times it's volume instantly. Propane boils at about -40* F the gas vapor is what is used to make propane appliances work not the liquid. Tanks are made to draw only gas from the very top of the tanks this is why the new tanks are designed with a float inside to shut off the recharge of liquid propane so there is no chance  of liquid propane getting out the valve but laying a BBQ tank on it's side may allow liquid propane into the lines the float is supposed to keep them from doing that but it's iffy if they are on their sides. The side mount tanks operate on the same principle but again they draw gas from the highest point in the tank not from the bottom. Yes the valve and regulator are in on the bottom of most horizontal tank but inside it is piped from the top above the liquid.