As we were driving from California to New Mexico  ,the brakes started to not respond on the second pumping of pedal .Must be air in the system we said in unison!

so 60 miles before our destination in Taos MM we decided to bleed the lines on the side of the road to free them from potential air bubbles .

my wife was pressing on brakes as I was opening the bleeder valve in the back wheels and closing it when she lifted the pedal.

the juice ran clear for a while and then stopped running altogether!!!

both rear wheels !!!

the break fluid reservoir was always filled up to prevent any new bubbles from getting in the system

since the back brakes where now not spitting fluid ..we moved on the front passenger brakes which stopped spitting also ....only the one on driver side .

we drove the next 60 miles on with the hand brake glued to my right hand !!!!and made it !

that was before running through a red light in espanola!!!

what a day !!! Now safely parked in mother s in law driveway !!!

trying to figure out what to do next before driving down to Mexico .

any suggestions anybody?

Thanks a million in advance

If your brakes where working well when you left California and then started to fail. To me it would be the brake master cylinder . I have a 84 toyota mrv and my master cylinder was leaking into my brake booster but I was able to stop . When I found out my master cylinder was leaking and how old my rig was I decided to replace the master cylinder the brake booster all 3 rubber brake hoses and rear wheel cylinders , shoes and pads.  Someone on here may have had the problem you have and will offer some advice.  

Did you close the bleeder valve before she let off the pedal ? If she lifted the pedal and then you closed the bleeder valve then you sucked air in 

Basic rules

Open bleeder valve, push the brake pedal and hold, close bleeder valve, release brake valve. Repeat.

A small dia hose connect to the bleeder valve and stuck in a small glass jar half full of brake fluid. This will let you see bubbles and when the old fluid comes out.

Thanks , did this exactly  , still  no more fluid coming out of bleeder valve .... somebody mentionned master cylinder ?

may look into that  tomorrow 

6 hours ago, cjac said:

If your brakes where working well when you left California and then started to fail. To me it would be the brake master cylinder . I have a 84 toyota mrv and my master cylinder was leaking into my brake booster but I was able to stop . When I found out my master cylinder was leaking and how old my rig was I decided to replace the master cylinder the brake booster all 3 rubber brake hoses and rear wheel cylinders , shoes and pads.  Someone on here may have had the problem you have and will offer some advice.  

I think that might be the master cylinder as you said ,thank you !

was it a big job to replace the unit ?

• 2 weeks later...

Not at all . The only thing you have to be careful with is the lines to the master cylinder. Sometimes the metal line gets seized in the fitting . But by now you probably have it fixed. 

• 3 weeks later...

would highly recommend special flare nut wrench for the fittings. much better then using open end type  which tend to slip and round off the fittings