Mr. Heater?

Hello.  I have no furnace.  The previous owner of my rig used a "Mr. Heater."  They look pretty safe.  Has anyone used one in their Toy?  

HEY THERE, mr. heaters use propane canisters. I would be far more comfortable ( no pun intended), with a ceramic electric heater. the one I have has a built in safety feature that shuts the heater off if it somehow would fall over. the propane heaters all suck oxygen and cause condensation. that is why the warning labels state to use in well ventilated areas.i am aware that some roof top ac units had as an option, an electric heat panel , which, although not a furnace, does provide a heat source. my 92 Winnie does not have this option but is prewired for easy installation of one. hope this helps. joe from dover.

Yes I was only thinking for when I'm parked in the Walmart parking lot. Otherwise my ac has heat. Thank you. The Mr Heater has several safety features. 

Yes many have used the Mr. Heater with good results. You do have to leave a window cracked open so you loose some of the heat but better than nothing. A fully functional RV furnace is of course the best way to go. Keep a eye out on craigslist. Sometimes when looking for parts I just search RV section and put in "parting". Pop top campers are notorious for getting trashed and they sometimes have nice small furnaces.

Linda S

I tried using a Mr. Buddy and would suggest not buying one.  Here are the reasons:

1) The packaging clearly warns about not falling asleep when it is ON.  There are some safety features, but I'd rather not violate the instructions with the serious health risk of propane or carbon monoxide or explosion.

2) It doesn't have a thermostat.  If you violate the above suggestion, and you do wake up, I'm sure you'll wake up either too cold or more likely too hot. The one I used only had hi and low settings.  Cracking the window the right amount to get through the night seems nearly impossible.

3) Just boil some water on your stove.   Increasing latent and sensible heat in your MH may cause a little condensation, but putting a warm beverage in your belly is a way more satisfying and efficient way to stay warm.  A better way to make the heat last through the night safely is to put the hot water in a stainless thermos in your bed.  

My AC has a heat setting, but it doesn't work.  I recently had an issue with low voltage on my house battery causing me to discover all of this.  The solution was just $5 at a walmart to create a jumper from the engine battery to the house battery, so that the 30 year old furnace is back to working good as new.  I'd guess these old furnaces last a long time an you can find one for cheap if you look.  

As someone has already said the best way to heat your RV is with the furnace. I'd follow that advice and start watching Craigslist. 

As far as the Buddy heater I have one that takes one propane canister. They make models that can use a can on each side. I know a guy that has no furnace The buddy is his only heating source. His is connected to his propane tank. Mr Heat make a hose to connect it. I would be sure to buy the hose made specifically for that purpose He seems content. This is what I would do this if you aren't getting a furnace.

I have used mine a few times in my 86 Sunrader. It saves the battery or in emergency if you lose power. The cracked window and moisture on the windows are the biggest draw backs. You can't touch the buddy when it's lit without it shutting off. I had a combo explosive gas detector I think it was $35 before I got the Buddy. As far as temp control I'm guessing you will be able to figure that out. I usually have it on high for a few minutes then keep it on low. I don't care for it really hot. 

I would suggest making sure you have the cab blocked off. I just use a thick blanket. No need to heat extra space. The Buddy has worked great for me when needed 

The electric one sounds great but you have to have electricity. I am rarely in a position to use juice freely. I always seem to be conserving.  The furnace is the best without question but the Buddy is the best alternative I've used. I keep mine in the RV with a couple of cans just in case. 

While hunting, I frequently camp in my Scamp with temps down to zero degrees (F)  My furnace in the Scamp gave up the ghost about 5 years ago but I survive by adding an extra sleeping bag.  I would rather wake up chilled than not wake up.  Every winter here in Wisconsin, at least one or two ice fishermen or hunters end up dead from carbon monoxide poisoning due to using lp heaters in tents or ice shanties.  I don't care if they have an oxygen depletion sensor or not, I believe the manufacturer when they say DO NOT USE them in an enclosed camper.  Dead is dead.

By the way, I am a DNR hunter education instructor and get the death announcements straight from the DNR, not from rumors.

• 6 months later...

I have a atwood furnace all original, I know its vented, but I'm wondering how many of you still leave a window cracked just in case?

I agree with Derek the furnace is vented to the outside. Shut your windows and enjoy the heat. I recommend both a CO2 detector and a propane leak detector.