Portable generator question

MNman

I have a DouTherm  air conditioner in my 92 Dolphin. The manual says it draws 1530 watts, and the Honda 2000 Inverter generator I'm looking at says it puts out 1600 "running" watts. Sounds like I'm cutting it close there...if I'm not running much (or anything?) else, will I be OK ?

Well your opening a can of worms now as there is so much discussion on what the Honda 2000i can run or not run. If it is a 13K AC unit then No. It’s the surge wattage when the AC first turns on that causes problems and the genny will overload on a 13K unit. My DuoTherm Penguin is a 11K unit and my Honda 2000i runs it flawlessly. I use it while driving to cool the coach and cab as I don’t have cab AC. When running the generator I don’t use anything else. What is your AC rated? I have a feeling your AC would be a 13.5K unit on a 92 rig. You probably will be looking @ a 3000 watt generator to adequately run your AC. 

Edited by markwilliam1
More info.

Thanks Mark; I guess I don't know...I have the A/C manual in my hand, but it's written for 3 models,  capacity's of 7,180,  11,000 and 13,500 like you mention. I'll go out and look on the actual unit...maybe there's something on it that gives it's exact model #.

and...good news for me:) it's the middle size, so 11,000 like yours. Sounds like the nudge I need to buy the little Honda finally! They have the 2000i Honda generators for 850 at the local place, the cheapest I've seen them.

My A/C unit wasn't factory, but they had it installed new in 92, still have the slip for it. The former owners were great about keeping every manual, etc...

wait a sec...I just saw you said you use it while driving?? um...where is it running?

Edited by MNman

If your positive that it is an 11k it could work for you But (there’s always a but) I had to replace my starting capacitor and running capacitor to get my Honda to run it without problems. Also altitude is important! I live in Ohio....not much elevation as the higher you go the less efficient to generator becomes! My Penguin is a 2000 year unit so it was replaced also thankfully. Before spending the big bucks on the Honda see if they will let you try it. Replacing the caps is not hard and for quality capacitors (I bought the Dometic brand) I spent around $100.

I'm in MN, so elevation wouldn't be an issue here either:)  Maybe out west or on an AK trip though...

Positive on the 11,000...I read it right off the unit.

How did you diagnose the capacitors were an issue? I'm pretty new to this.

I've wanted a small generator for awhile anyway, and the a/c is only 1 use, so if it doesn't work out so be it.

Do you have a heating element in your a/c? I see mine is prewired for one and they're pretty cheap/easy to install so I was thinking of getting one. I understand they aren't a replacement for the furnace, but for the small investment it looked like a good idea.

So...I'm guessing the heat would draw less juice than the A/C and the Honda would run that. Guessing:)

Thinking the heater element is around 1500 watts. I have one and it’s great! Never use it with the Honda though as I camp @ parks with hookups mostly. My furnace works well but is very loud! If it’s cold I usually turn on the furnace for awhile then use the AC to keep things warm the rest of the day. I would think the Honda could run the heater element perfectly as there is no voltage surge. You can’t go wrong with the Honda! Fantastic it’s the unit everyone else is trying to clone.

McMan I’m a drywall contractor in Mpls and own 7 of the Honda 2000’s. During our recent Indian summer stint I used my oldest of the seven and that had no problem running my 11,000 Coleman on my 89 dolphin. I bought a Honda 3000 for it but don’t see the need for it now. Plus 2000 is half the weight. Enjoy your Toyhome.  Hambone

Also MNman for the Honda your looking at for 850.00$ make sure it’s not refurbished. Honda controls their prices fairly close at 1000.00 for new

no worries Hambone, I've been called worse;)

The Hondas are on sale at Northern Tool, reg 999 on sale for 899. Then they have a 50 off any purchase over 250 coupon that's also valid on all sale prices. It says nothing in the ad about them being refurbished, but I'll double check when I pick one up. Yeah, that's the lowest price I've seen on them, which sparked my interest in the first place.

Yes, the 3000 is too big a unit to haul around...I have one a bit larger than that for home use but it's waaay too big for the Toy.

Wheres your cabin? We have one on upper Red.

Not 100% sure but I think a 2000i is rated at 1600 watts continuous, 2000 surge. This is right from their specs "120v 2000W max. (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A). Use ohms law to calc unknown values for powe needs.

P devided by E = I, P devided by I = E, I time E = P.

ohm.png

It is in all the manufacturers specs as LRA,  locked rotor amps.   Notice the much hyped low draw Polar Cub has a higher amp draw than the Coleman power saver!  My older 11k btu Brisk air model # 57912.602 with a LRA of 48.3 amp will not run dependably with my Honda 2000. 

polar cub AC.PNG

Roof ac  mach 1 PS.PNG

Some of the inverter generators do a little better if the Eco throttle is disabled and they are running at full throttle when starting A/C.

Again WME is correct. When running my Dometic 11K using my Honda 2000i I have the eco switch turned Off. It’s less strain on the Honda due to the genny reving higher during the initial AC surge. My little Honda isn’t that quiet running full bore!

Picked up the Honda yesterday and I did read about the eco switch, and will make sure it's off when I need to run the A/C.  Won't be till next year here in MN....14 degrees predicted for sunday night:)

Good Luck with your Honda. You’re gunna Love it! The only time you need to have the eco switch off is when running the AC. My Honda runs everything in my rig on eco mode even the microwave. Much quieter with eco on!