How to use electric plugs in the cabin?

hamkid

I need some guidance understanding how my 1985 Toyota Escaper’s cabin electricity works. I want to plug a vacuum into the electrical sockets of the cabin and use the vacuum like it is used in a house. When I plug in the vacuum there is no power, what should I do? Any advice is very much appreciated, I am totally clueless about these vehicles.

There is NO 110v in an RV, unless you have a generator plugged in OR you have plugged the RV power cord into a shore power plug (your house).

Everything in your RV is 12v dc (battery) heater, water pump, lights, vent fans.

Thank you for the quick reply. Is the picture that you are using for your profile a picture of the RV you own? If so what make and model is it? What kind of generator do you use? Is there a place that houses the generator? There might be one on my RV that I do not know about, I just purchased this on Tuesday.

Generator is a big investment. More important now to find the power cord for you rig so you can plug it in. Inside an exterior door or in a power cord hatch like this

67206n.jpg

or this

67202n.jpg

You will need an adapter to plug it into your house power

Road Power RV Cord Adapter

Linda S

If you have a generator I'm sure you would know it. They are expensive and the seller would have made it a selling point.

An 85 Escaper would most likely came with a Kohler or an Onan 3KW

This a Kohler ...https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kohler-Genrator-Set-3RM21-with-MO-K181EP-Engine-1-Phase-3-KW-3-KVA-RPM-3600/202034574484?epid=2205119177&hash=item2f0a32f494:g:CdYAAOSwio1Zn6ZL

This is an Onan...https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONAN-2-5-KVA-Generator-2-5LK-1R-Electric-120V-Single-Phase/292283774074?hash=item440d78747a:g:-wEAAOSwzj9Z5FZ~

Alternate Onan ...https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONAN-MICROLITE-2800-WATT-GENERATOR-RV-MOTORHOME-GENERATOR/132374617017?hash=item1ed2245bb9:g:kecAAOSwoF1ZyEQL

They are about 2ft x 1.5ft x 1 ft and weigh about 125-150 pounds. They live in a metal lined box thats behind a 2x1 ft vented door

If I purchase the rv cord adapter that Linda mentioned I can draw power from any standard power source? Would I be able to draw power from electric car charge stations? 

A car charging station is not a standard source. Your just trying to charge your house battery or use power for TV's ad such. Try a campsite or your home. Charging stations are set up to charge electric cars quickly. That means far higher voltage than your camper can handle. Your battery will be already fairly charge up if your drive all day. It charges from the alternator for the engine when running. Most of your lights are 12 volt and can run on that battery all night long. Especially if you switch to LED interior lights. Water pump, furnace all run from the battery. Fridge runs on propane when parked. Draws too much to use 12 volt.

Linda S

The new car charging station are 240 volt and use a outlet unlike a RV one modifying your plug to fit in any way will produce disastrous results. With an adaptor you can plug your RV into a house 120 volt outlet that will charge your battery and power your RV outlets.

I am sure that someone that actually uses electricity other than 12 volt will step in here pretty quickly.  I keep it really simple and just use 12 volts to avoid spending tons of money.

You already have plenty good advice. But I didnt see a vacuum being discussed. Your house vacuum draws many amperes of current. Unless you are plugged into shore power, its not going to be easy to operate.

If you are going the invertor route, beware still that you are limited to battery capacity. Befriend the terms amp hours, watt hours, peak and running amps, and wattage and amperage in general. There is all manner of circuitry and fuses that may become unhappy should you go the invertor route without paying adequate care to the wires and wire gauge. 

If an invertor is sized to run a vacuum (really tough if you are talking the normal house vacuum cleaners), you will also likely run through the standard coach battery in a very short time. Such a current draw may also run it down to an undercharge.

12V vacuums (think cigarette lighter socket car vacs), or light stick type vacuums may be possible, but it is far better to just buy the right size adapter hose to extend the hoses and go to a car wash or gas station. Much less painful to carry a couple brushes and collapsible hose than worry about frying something. For small jobs, get a *good* portable cordless handvac.

jm2c.

Cordless or battery operated vacuum is the way to go for RV; 12v car Vac is also acceptable too. I use a Milwaukee M12 vacuum that shares batteries with my power tools and camping light.

A generator is needed mostly for AC and Microwave. For small 120V devices like TV, coffee maker, or laptop, inverter is ok.

The rest should stick with 12v for maximum efficiency.

Random thoughts...

Each battery has a MAX safe charge rate. So having a killer charge system could damage a battery in the long term. The higher the charge amps the smarter the charger systems needs to be.

With a inverter the dc amps in vs the ac amps out  is about 10/1... A 5 amp AC load means a 50 amp dc draw on your battery. A typical microwave draws about 100 amps from your battery, needing BIG battery wires

A 100w solar panel and a conversion to LED lights will make most RVs power independent, with no A/C or microwave usage.

Newer flat screen TV, cell phone charger and a lap top charger won't make much difference in boondocking ability if you have solar.

So think SYSTEM not pieces n parts

Edited by WME

I do want to get a solar system installed in the future, but right now all I want to do is turn on a coffee pot or a vacuum when I need to. I was thinking of an inverter as a quick way to get power until I figure everything out. Also, please advise me on any solar systems that you recommend or use, any input is always welcome. This is the inverter I was considering to buy.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Power-Bright-2300-Watt-Power-Inverter/3125909?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA_ONLY-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-SosTrailerRampsAndTowing-_-3125909:Power_Bright&CAWELAID=&kpid=3125909&CAGPSPN=pla&k_clickID=c48542e6-512b-4747-a834-43ca8c916919&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj4qCrr6j1wIVAm5-Ch0h8AKmEAQYAiABEgL5_PD_BwE

The inverter you indicated will do what you want. It will need to be mounted as close to the house battery as possible and will need #2 wire to be safe. You need to have access to the inverter to plug in your appliances in, as it wont power the outlets in your RV. Unless you spend more for a transfer switch and have an electrician wire things up. Also its a modified sine wave output and there are some things that don't like that wave form

So would it be better to purchase a pure sine inverter? How did you know this unit was modified sine wave? I am just learning about electric systems and the different mechanisms people use in their rv’s for power.

Read...https://www.altestore.com/blog/2015/10/pure-sine-wave-vs-modified-sine-wave-whats-the-difference/

Vacuums use a big motor. think cordless

K.I.S.S.  Your camping not house keeping in a 2000 sq ft house

Edited by WME

Thanks for all the information. I have been web surfing around all the links and suggestions you all have been giving and have came to the conclusion that I should just invest in a solar starter kit. I am currently looking at the Renogy solar web site. Does anyone have suggestions or experience with this company and their solar products?

Renogy is a good company, another one is Windy Nation.

If you think that 100w system is what you'll keep then the solar kit package with a PWM controller will do just fine. If your crystal ball shows a bigger system in your future then get your starter kit with a MPPT controller.

https://www.altestore.com/howto/comparing-pwm-and-mppt-charge-controllers-a100/

When buying solar, its not necessary to buy panel, controller, cables from the same company. As long as they are compatible, brands are irrelevant. There are advantages of having a MPPT controller, reserve capacity at controller for future upgrades and flexible panels that may not be available from one vendor. Anything that doesnt need drilling another hole is your friend automatically. Also might weather elements better and not get blown off or trap water, critters, foliage under it. Panels themselves come in varying technologies. There arent many kits out there that supply all the best elements, or if there are then folks arent highlighting them enough.