My buddies V6 Winnie gets around 11 to 12. Do you use Overdrive? 

Inflate tires to correct pressure, reduce weight (leave the kitchen sink at home :P), drive slower, get a full quality tune up, drive slower, don't use cruise control. Did I mention drive slower??

Example 55mph = 14 mpg, 60 mph = 12 mpg, 70 mph = 10 mpg

Edited by WME

I am only getting 10mpg @55mph in my 1992 Winnebago Warrior.  Most of the time I am on cruise control with the overdrive "on" and it kicks down into third gear constantly.  Going above 55 my front tires start hopping so I stay at 55 at all times because of that. Tires are inflated to the recommended pressure - checked each one by taking them off and inflating cold.  Using midgrade gas too.  Any suggestions?  I did have a lot of "stuff" in the vehicle though which might be the cause of lower mileage.

Tune up, check engine compression, balance the tires. My Toy would run 70 smooth as silk. At 55 try keeping the OD OFF.

12-13 mpg is "good normal"

Edited by WME

2 hours ago, Boonski said:

I am only getting 10mpg @55mph in my 1992 Winnebago Warrior.  Most of the time I am on cruise control with the overdrive "on" and it kicks down into third gear constantly.  Going above 55 my front tires start hopping so I stay at 55 at all times because of that. Tires are inflated to the recommended pressure - checked each one by taking them off and inflating cold.  Using midgrade gas too.  Any suggestions?  I did have a lot of "stuff" in the vehicle though which might be the cause of lower mileage.

The stock V6 engines I believe are built to run on regular gas. Maybe I am incorrect here but my original thinking was Premium should give better performance. So I ran premium for a several long trips knowing that I was going to just fly up that mountain. Gas mileage and performance eventually dropped. I have to say it was kinda like getting old, took awhile before I realized that the rig was loosing some guts. It was the little hills and mountains where I noticed a difference. Somebody here or locally told me that the Toyota V6 needs regular gas. Higher grade gas burns differently. So I went back to regular and everyone (engine too) got happy. When I switched back to reg it took awhile before life was happy though. Maybe the bad combustion burns built some crude and it took awhile to clean out.

Other factor are your ignition components in good condition? Depending on what kind of ignition wires you have, factory, bad aftermarket, the wires can break down and not conduct as well. That can reduce the intensity of the spark to ignite the fuel. Ignition coils are another item. They also can break down. No way to really know unless you can read the actual output voltage. Factory vs aftermarket ignition parts, Maybe some can chime in here. 

As Derek said, tire pressure, what does it say on the side of your tire, mine were around 60 Lbs. 

Front tires start hopping, could be out of balance tires, bad shocks or both. Good shocks can handle more out of balance than worn out shocks.

Ditto WME's advice. I think OD for me worked best when running at around 60 to 65 mph. A bit more rpm and inertia flying down the road. Seemed to give the engine a bit more breathing room for road conditions and just ran really well.  

my 92 Winnie gets on average 12.5 mpg.  I kept track diligently and the best I ever got was 14 mpg with rig completely empty . on a 1200 mile round trip after every fill up I would do the math and it was always 12 to 13 mpg. I quit checking. I have no idea where some of the posted  (18 to 20 mpg ) come from. I do not engage my overdrive. unless you are on interstate 10 in Arizona, there is not enough long flat stretches of road to gain much from OD. my opinion. but I do have plenty of power. I can set the cruise at 65 and it will run beautifully. all the above mentioned suggestions are spot on, tire pressure, tune up, etc. but my thoughts are you get what you get and 12.5 mpg is not all that bad considering the amount of weight you are pushing down the road. joe from dover.

Thanks for all of the responses!  Definitely have a starting point to work from especially when it comes to the fuel i put in the tank. Going back to regular to see if that is part of the problem.  Since I have owned this vehicle I have never checked the air cleaner so that's the first thing I will do this morning.  Shocks may be bad also and planning to replace them shortly.  The tires I have on the ride scare me because they were made in China by a company called Sailun. On the sidewall the maximum tire pressure is 65 psi cold - I went with the recommended tire pressure shown on the driver's side door which was 50 pounds.  Hard to find 'D' rated truck tires now in the 185R 14 size; these came from Walmart.  My spare is a Yokahama and I cranked it down to inspect it finding the date code to be 9 years old - the other tires are three years old.  

Walmart hasn't been offering those tires for long so I'm guessing your tires are relatively new. Nothing wrong with Sailun tires provided they haven't been damaged by driving with extreme bad wheel alignment or balancing.

Premium gas prevents premature combustion by having a lower energy rating, aka less miles per gallon. In fact the cheapest way to increase octane levels is to add ethanol which is also hydroscopic, holds water, which lowers MPG even more.

Linda S

I didn't even know Sailun had much presence in the US. Googling 'Sailun Walmart' takes me to Walmart (Brasil)!

Are we talking about the Sailun SL12 tire? Walmart (USA) sells them?

I've no idea if they actually stock them, but Sailun is one of the very few who list a Winter/Snow tire in 185R14.

http://www.sailuntires.ca/PLT/WST1.html

Very weird. A few months back that winter tire in our size was gone from their catalog ad now it's back. So hard to keep track of these manufacturers. I recommended the Sailun tire a few years back to someone in Nova Scotia and they were going to pick them up at a Walmart. I'm thinking this is the same RV just back in America now?

Linda S

best I get is 14 - , ac off, level crusing,   AC on about 13,  up hills etc about 12.  All at once with strong headwinds, as low as 10.

IF you are going faster then 60, slow down.   if you are using cruise control and it is downshifting, it is pushing on the accelerator hard - if it is downshifting, turn off CC and accept slowing a bit on small uphill grades (dead foot driving) and getting it back going downhill.