Greetings! I recently purchased a '91 Warrior and am coming to realize by comparison with other Toyota RVs I see (dolphin, sunrader, etc) that the rear end is very low to the ground. I've scraped it a few times on driveways and gas stations. Looking to raise the rear end. It currently appears to have an air shock mounted. I pumped it up to 150psi (suggested range was 80-200), didn't lift up the rear end much. Any ideas if I can get a lift kit or something to increase rear clearance?

Edited by spokeandwords

Better double check your information source. I've never seen air springs rated over 100psi. Minimum pressure is 5 to 20psi

It could be that your air springs, lines or valves are leaking. Depending of what make you have fitted, you should be getting 2000 to 5000lb of lift when fully inflated.

Thanks for the reply Derek! Not sure but definitely says not to exceed 200psi in a small sticker right at the schrader valve. would 2-5000lb of lift actually lift up the rear end a significant amount? I wonder if some other part of the rear suspension is worn out, like the leaf springs. Either way, hoping I can get a little more clearance...

We need pics of what's there. Sounds like you have air shocks not air suspension which is what is needed on these rigs. No, if they are air shocks even at 200 psi it won't lift the rear end. No air suspension has a limit that high. Air bags look like this and are mounted above the leaf springs

Image result for air suspension firestone

or this

Image result for air suspension firestone

Linda S

You're going to have a hard time even finding air @ 200psi. Sometimes it's even hard to find 100psi since gas stations set the pressure lower to avoid liability against people who might try to pump their car tires (35psi Max) to something way higher.

If you have the larger diameter (5000lb) air springs (Linda's top photo), adding air will make the rear end rise easily and quickly before your eyes by several inches. I've zero experience with the smaller diameter (2000lb) air springs (Linda's bottom photo) or air shocks (1100lb).

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/products/Max-Air/shock-Absorbers

P.S. Installing 5000lb air springs does NOT mean you can safely carry an extra 5000lb of 'stuff'. It just means you can get 5000lbs of lift to make it look level again.

Once upon a time they had onboard vacuum powered compressors for air bags/shocks but I haven't seen them in years. You can buy 12 volt ones but unless you spend the big bucks they are pretty slow. 

Air shocks put a LOT of strain on the shock mounting bolts. Air bags exert their force on the axle and frame which are much stronger

I have the springs shown in Linda's lower picture.  I bought them from 3-T.  I could not find the 5000 lb units shown in the upper photo.  I run about 80 psi and the air suspension does a great job of raising the rear of the RV.  Before installing the air suspension, I bottomed out on just about every bump and the ride reminded me of riding on a hay wagon.  I love my air suspension.  if this set ever wears out, I will be installing the 5000 lb units.

Edited by Bob C

check your bushing on your rear leaf springs- check for arch in your springs.  I replaced mine and had them modified to add an extra leaf.  With my 3T's airbags at 20, versus 60 makes about 1/2 - 1" difference of height  at rear tires.

Need to know what type of air bags you have.   I think 3t's was standard (I had 1 92 before I have a 93)

• 5 months later...

Hello all,

I am the proud new owner of a 92 Warrior purchased from the family of a gentleman who unfortunately had a stroke and has NO memory of the unit, including ever purchasing it.  So, I'm slowly doing all of the stuff that needs to be fixed.

I thought it might be the air bags, but they are holding 60psi no problem.  The big truck shop inspected it and informed me that I need to replace the rear spring bushings (and probably the whole assembly) as they specified spring bushings, bolts and shackles for front and rear.

They suggested NAPA, but the guys at NAPA were clueless.  Does anyone know the specs (and maybe a reputable source) for these items?

Thanks.

I wonder what kind of air bag setup you have...? My 91 Warrior has the air bags on top of the axle, directly against the frame above; so with both bags fully inflated, it's basically impossible for the rear to sag. (AirLift LoadLifter5000 system)

Looks like I will be chatting with Energy Suspension about my spring bushing on Monday.  You saved me an afternoon of staring at a screen.  Many thanks.

I understand that my airbags are stock, located between the axle and frame as I have receipts for everything else under the sun, including labor on stereo systems no longer installed. 

Hey stayingretired another option would be if you live close to a truck spring shop they can re-arch your springs (heat is the best method) add more leaves and replaced your bushings. On my Granville I don’t have air bags and my re-arched and 2 additional heavy duty leaf springs on both sides raised my rear end 5 inches! I used to bottom out constantly but never now. Old school spring shops are hard to find these days but definitely worth it if one is near by! 

markwilliam1, that's great advice and I hope that the rest of the community may benefit from your post.

I'm in a rural area and the folks here have been brainwashed into buying NEW and the few auto parts suppliers for the consumer no longer carry older parts unless they are generic 'universal' units which require intimate knowledge of dimensions, such as having it on the counter in front of the parts guy so he can figure out which part to order from Chindia.  (NAPA, AutoZombie, O'Really's, etc.)

Probably the best advice I've gotten so far is to check the feed store for parts (Runnings, Tractor Supply, etc.) as they carry all sorts of stuff as Farmer Bob isn't running out to buy a new $500K combine just because it has cruise control and GPS.

Totem, I'm looking there for battery cables, among other things. 

I have no idea if they carry leaf springs.  I will hit Runnings in a few minutes and look.

But, yes, they carry all kinds of weird stuff at feed stores because farmers and ranchers fix broken stuff.

1 hour ago, stayingretired said:

Totem, I'm looking there for battery cables, among other things. 

I have no idea if they carry leaf springs.  I will hit Runnings in a few minutes and look.

But, yes, they carry all kinds of weird stuff at feed stores because farmers and ranchers fix broken stuff.

Hmm, they sell battery cables at wallmart and meijers stores also in midwest. I just had to change my ground battery cable this past weekend as it had cracked on the lead part that squeezed against the terminal post causing much undesirable behavior during run and starting... glad I found it. cheap fix too.

My 94 Warrior has the 3T airbags shown at the bottom of Linda's post.  When I raise the air pressure in them from 10 to 85 lbs the rig lifts between 3/4 inch to an inch at the rear axle, which would be at the rear bumper an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half.

I have no idea why but the 87 Nova Stars had a 9 leaf spring pack under them mind did and so did my friends they sat high enough in the back that I had to use blocks on the front to level it wonder where they came from? A one ton Hiace maybe?

A quality spring shop will make the leaf springs and will re-arch the existing springs in a forge. The 4 additional springs added to Grannie were thicker than the OEM springs and I’m sure not metric. No need for airbags now!