Looking for TV install location ideas.

LittleShack

I had planned to attach the 19inch flat screen tv I bought to the counter above the fridge, but, then I thought...maybe someone else has a unique and better place for it. I saw someone's photo of the tv sitting on the back of the bench seat. Saves the counter space or something else! Anyone have any placement ideas they want to share, also hardware used to attach. Thanks in advance!-Sue

I've considered mounting it on the bunk wall (passenger side) on a swivel bracket. Watch it from bed/bunk with it against the wall, swing it out a bit to watch from the couch, swing it out a lot to watch from the dinette.

But I don't watch TV at home, so somehow I doubt I'll start while on the road (same goes for the oven!). :)

Laptop with TV tuner added. When I'm done with it I put it away. Can watch DVD's too. Unless you have a satellite dish, TV on the road isn't so good anymore. Digital kind of wiped out any reception except in big cities and I don't camp much in big cities. Actually get horrible reception in San Jose, Ca the center of Silicon Valley. All the towers are in San Francisco 60 miles away. You can watch lots of shows online though with a laptop.

Linda S

9 hours ago, linda s said:

Laptop with TV tuner added. When I'm done with it I put it away. Can watch DVD's too. Unless you have a satellite dish, TV on the road isn't so good anymore. Digital kind of wiped out any reception except in big cities and I don't camp much in big cities. Actually get horrible reception in San Jose, Ca the center of Silicon Valley. All the towers are in San Francisco 60 miles away. You can watch lots of shows online though with a laptop.

Yes, I agree. Not much 'free tv' these days. I want it mainly for using with a dvd player. My laptop is a Macbook and doesn't take a dvd/cd. You'll have to explain what a tv tuner is.

13 hours ago, Derek up North said:

But I don't watch TV at home, so somehow I doubt I'll start while on the road (same goes for the oven!). :)

I would have liked an oven in the RV! Mine came with the microwave. I enjoy cooking on the road and used our oven in the trailer a lot. I'll have to adjust my cooking mindset to microwave use.

1 hour ago, LittleShack said:

Yes, I agree. Not much 'free tv' these days. I want it mainly for using with a dvd player. My laptop is a Macbook and doesn't take a dvd/cd. You'll have to explain what a tv tuner is.

Unfortunately TV tuners compatible with Mac's are almost non existent. Tons of them for windows computers cheap. You can find an external CD/DVD player though pretty cheap.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultra-Slim-USB-External-Slot-DVD-VCD-CD-RW-Drive-Burner-Superdrive-for-Apple-Macbook-Pro-Air-iMAC-and-Other-Computer/635986529?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=11017&adid=22222222227097770056&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=219085905111&wl4=pla-355385172233&wl5=9032376&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117088882&wl11=online&wl12=635986529&wl13=&veh=sem

TV mounts for an RV have locks so they don't fly around when your driving. Ones for the home don't. Surprise the ones for RV's are pricey and the ones for home cheap. I installed a cheap one in my girlfriends camper and locked it into place with some velcro straps. Looks OK and protects the TV from road vibration

Linda S

PS I'm a baker too. I would be lost without my oven. For all these guys who say they never use them, they are the first guys to wander over to my campsite when I'm baking blueberry muffins or brownies.

5 hours ago, LittleShack said:

I would have liked an oven in the RV! Mine came with the microwave. I enjoy cooking on the road and used our oven in the trailer a lot. I'll have to adjust my cooking mindset to microwave use.

How about swapping in a Microwave/Convection oven? Would that work?

When I remodeled my tow behind I removed the cooktop/oven and put in new counters and a hob used the space where the oven was for the TV. I watch slightly more TV than I would baking and that say a lot.  

8 hours ago, Derek up North said:

How about swapping in a Microwave/Convection oven? Would that work?

That could work! I'll have to do some investigating on sizes. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Maineah said:

When I remodeled my tow behind I removed the cooktop/oven and put in new counters and a hob used the space where the oven was for the TV. I watch slightly more TV than I would baking and that say a lot.  

I like to eat fresh baked cookies while I watch TV;)

13 hours ago, linda s said:

PS I'm a baker too. I would be lost without my oven. For all these guys who say they never use them, they are the first guys to wander over to my campsite when I'm baking blueberry muffins or brownies.

Love it!! Yeah, they say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. That saying had to come from somewhere!

I stream Netflix and Amazon straight from my phone to my Warrior's TV while traveling and camping. (Rarely anything on broadcast TV that interests me.) Most phones have HDMI adapters, so you can get a nice digital connection to your HDTV. Obviously, this option is for folks with good data plans or consistent, nearby WiFi.

Of course, if you find a TV with combo DVD, then you can just do some RedBoxing, sans Internet. :)

Doesn’t that cost you a fortune streaming video files using so much data? Usually the places I camp have no internet service available. I use a separate DVD player connected to my TV to watch movies if it’s raining which it does a lot when I camp Lol!

17 hours ago, Ctgriffi said:

I stream Netflix and Amazon straight from my phone to my Warrior's TV while traveling and camping. (Rarely anything on broadcast TV that interests me.) Most phones have HDMI adapters, so you can get a nice digital connection to your HDTV. Obviously, this option is for folks with good data plans or consistent, nearby WiFi.

Of course, if you find a TV with combo DVD, then you can just do some RedBoxing, sans Internet. :)

For Android phones without an HDMI there is Google Chromecast https://store.google.com/product/chromecast_2015 I have not tried it though.

23 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

Doesn’t that cost you a fortune streaming video files using so much data? 

Both of us have an unlimited data package on our phone... there are probably some restrictions but we haven't hit 'em. We don't use it all the time, of course, but it comes in very handy sometimes, when camping on a rainy night, etc.

To answer LittleShack's actual question, however: I would highly recommend this mount which works great for the size of TV you're likely to use in these little rigs:  http://a.co/3bcoAuE

Also, you can find the post about my TV install here 

This was my solution to the TV, Computer, and phone cords. Now after a 41/2 month road trip I did not use the TV, why do I have it.

IMG_1602.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG

Well it sorta kills the walk through, but it opens a multitude of possibilities for other places. Well done.

Edited by WME

Me too. I’m 6’4” so it’s pretty much a “crawl through” for me?!

Ha! Luckily I’m skinny but I bang my head on the ceiling AC shroud all day long Man!

I used the walk through once and it almost was a stuck through.      Darrel

Darrel, that is quite brilliant! Thanks for that!

On 10/25/2017 at 4:18 PM, Ctgriffi said:

To answer LittleShack's actual question, however: I would highly recommend this mount which works great for the size of TV you're likely to use in these little rigs:  http://a.co/3bcoAuE

Also, you can find the post about my TV install here 

And thank you Ctgriffi, for the above as well. I love your rig's layout! I'll have to order one of these mounts. I also didn't know you could hook your phone up to your tv. I have an iphone...will it work with that too? Must do some investigating!

3 hours ago, LittleShack said:

I have an iphone...will it work with that too? Must do some investigating!

Yep, I use an older-model iPhone to stream Netflix/Amazon to the TV, so it should work for you. You'll just need the correct adapter for the phone-to-HDMI connection, depending on your model (research before buying!).

12 hours ago, Ctgriffi said:

Yep, I use an older-model iPhone to stream Netflix/Amazon to the TV, so it should work for you. You'll just need the correct adapter for the phone-to-HDMI connection, depending on your model (research before buying!).

• AWESOME!!!!!

I used to have this 24 in TV with built-in DVD player mounted in the top shelf above thr Fridge until the AC came in so it is now mounted on the ceiling with sliding rail that I can extend when needed and stow back with a lock in place (see last pic). I placed 3M double sided tape on the rail before screw it on the ceiling. It works great for us. It keeps the kids entertained as well as serving as Karaoke machine as needed. HDMI input thru the phone is a must

20171103_151726.jpg

20171103_151749.jpg

20171103_151811.jpg

On 10/22/2017 at 11:56 PM, linda s said:

Linda S

We can receive about 50 channels around SF areas but when I get home in Pleasant Hills, we can only get 6 channels and 2 of them are in Spanish. I thought SJ offers more of the air channels 

I can get the PBS stations and a lot of weird channels I never heard of.  Almost no major broadcast channels though. They will come in for a while and then get all pixilated. I think I'd have to rig up some kind of tall antenna. Almost done going there for work so doesn't matter. Got my daughters Netflix log in so I'm good. Have very good Wi-Fi where I park there.

Linda S

your model and layout will probably influence tv location more than anything. A rear dinette being the toughest one to do without massive swivel arm.

In my case the dinette is directly behind the front cab seats So I simply bolted it at the end of the main couch beds wall which was accessed through the closet. that wall allows all areas to see and even unfortunately the rear view mirror can see it also for the driver... so make sure they dont put a movie you love or must see while you are driving if using this config. Best part on this method bolt through the closet is easy fast and wiring easily hidden into the closet wall or closet..

in my rig the firestick runs tv with Kodi via wifi when available or we slum it with dvd when on the road.