Started driving north from West Melbourne Florida with the hopes of making it to Manistee Michigan to visit my son and his family.  First fillup after leaving Melbourne (gas gauge only goes to 1/2 of a tank regardless of being full) and subsequent fillups indicated consistent 10 mpg - nothing more.  Maximum speed was 55 miles per hour due to tire hop above 55 (tires may be out of balance) plus the transmission continually downshifted out of overdrive going up hills and with headwinds, etc.  Bought this RV about a year ago, had a new timing belt professionally installed and it runs and starts like a top except for the performance as previously stated.  Any ideas on what could be wrong?  We actually turned around and headed back to Florida after four hours of Atlanta Georgia gridlock.  Coming home we took the Florida Turnpike from Interstate 75 and I filled up twenty miles before getting to the turnpike entrance.  I should have stopped for gas at one of the turnpike plazas but figured I could make it to the 528 exit which was almost a disaster.  When we finally got to a gas station along State Road 520 I had a whole 1/2 gallon left in the tank and the fuel gauge was below empty at that point.  Finally got to see some movement in the gas gauge.  I was stopping to fill up every 100 miles not knowing the gas gauge worked once the tank got below the 1/2 mark.  This was a learning experience more than anything.  The fuel consumption is my main concern.  Any suggestions would be very helpful to me.

I never did much better that 13.5 with a 4 cyl. Head wind weight and speed improper tire balance does not help either.

Check if you need a new air filter, a dirty one reduces MPG by 20% or more, that could add 2 mpg.  Check your tire pressure, if you are under pressure that will impact MPG by 1 to 2 mpg.  My 1990 V6 gets better MPG at 62 mph than it does at 55 mph.  At 55 mph I experience a lot of downshifting out of overdrive, but 62 mph appears to be the sweet point, so try 60 mph, if that keeps you in overdrive more often that is another 1 to 2 mpg.  

Fuel gage fix is important. It won't increase your gas mileage but will keep you from being stranded.

For a short term fix,take your 10mpg and multiply by tank gallon capacity. I.e. 10 mpg x 17(gallon tank) = 170 miles. Use your odometer to tell when its time for gas.

Found out towards the end of my recent journey that my gas gauge does in fact work once the tank goes below the one-half mark.  Because my front tires are out of balance I could not go beyond 56 mph or they would start to hop.  I really need to buy new tires for the front as a minimum but hard to locate Class 'D' truck tires now.  The ones on it are "made in China" with a 'D' rating.  My spare is a Yokahama which is 9 years old.  Any suggestions on replacement tires?  Going to check the air cleaner in the morning.  The exhaust does smell a little "rich".

Tires, Walmart has these back in stock, very cheap

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evergreen-ES88-185R14C-OWL102-100Q/54485716

Here are some others

https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/185-Blank-14?filtering=,price

Put in your zip code for shipping prices.

Read your engine codes for diagnosing smelly exhaust or have it done. Any service station can do it for cheap

Linda S

Start with reading your tire date codes, no sense replacing tires that are only a couple years old that just need balancing.  Also do not want to be driving on tires that are over 7 years old, including the rear tires, can be dangerous or expensive.  When replacing tires it is also time to look at valve stems, to ease inflation..

aaaaa.PNG

aaa.jpg

bad tires, running AC, pushing that right foot down hard...  all can hurt mileage.  I would 1) check Air filter and downstream for obstructions (not likely), 2) check timing (not likely), 3) fix tires - they can cause a lot of drag (somewhat likely).

You did not mention any codes - also does check engine light illuminate before starting?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that is what i was thinking.  

Started rig today,  after three days of not working.   Fuel gauge began working again today?

Any ideas?

Last spring, i did change out the fuel pump.  We did not replace the rubber seal that goes between the tank and the pump assembly.   Left the old one in place.  Does this pose a problem?

Loose connection on the fuel pump assembly???

Could be a loose connection (or bad wire) anywhere along the line. Next time it's not working, try banging on the gas tank and wiggling the wiring while someone watches the gauge for you. It would be a PITA if you dropped the tank only to later find out it was a loose connection behind the dash! :)