I spent today going over all the various appliances in my rig (1992 Itasca Spirit). I've only had this baby for a few days, and in between taking care of my grandkids while their parents are away, I managed to get the furnace, fridge and hot water all running. I then changed the oil in the built in Kohler gennie, started outfitting the rig with gear and decided where to install the 19 inch flat screen TV I bought 2nd hand. After I'd changed the oil in the gennie, I thought I'd let it run for a bit while I tested out the AC and microwave. Microwave works great. AC not so much. I have no clue where to even begin trying to troubleshoot it. Fuse? Is there one? Missing a step in starting it? Can't see any more buttons or switches. The manual wasn't very helpful. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Step 1 Plug the AC line cord into the generator/ OR verify that your MH has an auto transfer switch to switch between shore power and the generator.

Step 2 Most MH have a separate circuit breaker for the AC. Check your power panel and reset all the C/Bs.

Step 3 Turn the AC thermostat to MAX hot, see if the AC blower will start when you turn the AC on. Option A your AC may have a fan only position on the fan switch turn it to that.

Once you verify the blower is running  go to low AC and slowly make the thermostat to cold. The AC should kick on if all is good.

Thanks so much to all of you! I will be heading out into our very windy and wet west coast BC weather today and check all of this out. Here's hoping it's a simple fix!:D

7 hours ago, Derek up North said:

8 hours ago, LittleShack said:

... very windy and wet west coast BC weather ...

So you won't be needing A/C for at least 6 months! Plenty of time to solve the problem. :)

Ain't that the truth!

I am hoping to make a road trip south with a couple of my kids in February, but we were down that way last year at that time too and didn't find a need for AC. We have one in our travel trailer that we rarely ever use, so thinking about replacing the AC with a Fantastic Fan if it's not fixable.

I did make it out to the RV and plugged it into shore power. (on a side question...I'm assuming the coach battery charges when on shore power like it does in our trailer. Am I right?)

The AC made a humming noise, but no air flow. I wouldn't have heard that humming while on the gennie power.  So, my next thoughts are to open it up and clean it out, use some WD40?? Thoughts? I'm wondering if it's just stuck with age and dirt/dust/goo! 

Well thats a start.

Remove the cover/filter and see if you can see the blower fan. With the POWER OFF see if you can move the blower fan, if you can get it to move freely then its probably not the problem. So power on and see if it will turn

If its stuck start looking for the fan motor. You may have to remove the top outside cover to get to the fan motor. Most rv A/C use the same motor to run the condenser fan and the evap fan. Seeing how your already on the roof, take a garden hose with a sweeper nozzle and clean out the A/C.

Edited by WME

Had the same problem on my Dometic AC. A slight hum but no fan movement. Like WME said take off the shroud and attempt to move the fan blades while the AC is Not on! If the fan motor spins freely than it’s not the fan. When the AC is on and you hear a hum the unit is getting power. When my AC was on I carfully moved the fan blades and it would slowly spin on its own but not even close to the proper operating speed. My thoughts turned to the starting capacitor. I bought a new cap and installed it. Works perfectly now! If not too rusted you can get the part # off the cap or call Coleman. The Correct Capacitor is Important to the unit your using it for!

On 10/21/2017 at 9:20 PM, WME said:

Remove the cover/filter and see if you can see the blower fan. With the POWER OFF see if you can move the blower fan, if you can get it to move freely then its probably not the problem. So power on and see if it will turn

So, today, I went out and took the cover off the AC. Started looking around in there for anything my totally unknowing mind might see as an issue. Started tapping here and there with the handle of my screwdriver, with the idea that maybe something was loose. Then, looked up the black hole and saw the fan. Gave it a nudge, turned on the power and away she went! :sorcerer: Woohoo!!! I'm doing the happy dance!! Thanks for all the help! Should I spray some WD40 up there to lubricate it a bit? It must have just sat unused and sorta stuck.

Edited by LittleShack

Good deal...

IF it will restart without flipping the fan then it was just gunked up. WD 40 is not the best. See if you can find furnace fan oil. It come in a small plastic bottle with a long small nozzle.

IF the fan won't restart on its own then your looking at a starting capacitor

6 hours ago, WME said:

IF it will restart without flipping the fan then it was just gunked up. WD 40 is not the best. See if you can find furnace fan oil. It come in a small plastic bottle with a long small nozzle.

Had to rush off to babysit grandkids, but will go try it again tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help!

12 hours ago, WME said:

Good deal...

Furnace fan oil,  I don't believe it is available anymore?   I took a look on the web and 20 weight non detergent motor oil is recommended or 3in1 oil in the blue can only.

aaa.jpg