Fuel gauge no workie, '81 Mini-Cruiser

81minicruiser

hey there minicruiser, welcome to the group. my friend has a  86 Minnie Winnie. the fuel gauge did not work when he bought it. he went to the local Toyota dealer parts department, got the Toyota part number, and had it shipped to his friend's shop and installed. I think he paid about $90.00 for the new part. hope this helps, BTW, may I ask where in the buckeye state you are. ? I am in dover, south of canton. happy for another toya owner in ohio. best wishes, joe from dover.

Other than the obvious broken/lose wire the most common cause is a bad sender. I think the last person here that had a sender problem on a truck that old had to get restrictive wire and rewind the existing variable resistor.

Fuel tank sender is the likely cause. Check eBay for a seller "atomboys". They're out of Thailand but carry a lot of hard to find parts for the early Toyotas.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the info group.  I'll be driving home from Michigan over the weekend. I asked the shop that is installing a new rear axle to take a peek at the gauge while he has the axle out. I hope it's a simple fix.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  I may get caught in some snow in Northern Michigan to Cleveland. We'll see how she handles..

On 11/9/2017 at 12:17 AM, 81minicruiser said:

Thanks for all of the info group.  I'll be driving home from Michigan over the weekend. I asked the shop that is installing a new rear axle to take a peek at the gauge while he has the axle out. I hope it's a simple fix.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  I may get caught in some snow in Northern Michigan to Cleveland. We'll see how she handles..

Definitely keep us posted on this! My 1981 Sunrader fuel sender decided to go faulty on the last long drive I took it on.

I'm about to embark on a cross-country trip in the next 3 weeks and would love to fix this issue prior to departing.

Yep.  My gauge went down two days ago.  Need to reckon what the problem is.  

A few weeks ago, it did stop working one day, and then was working fine the next.  

Two days ago it stopped working, and has not come back to life.

'86 21' Sunrader.  Just broke 40k.

Sender unit eh?

Edited by Mister Blu

Find the wire that goes to the tank float connect a 12 volt test light to it and a good ground it should slowly blink and the fuel gauge will slowly go to full if it does it's the tank float.