Need advice for buying a Toyota RV.

LittleShack

I'm a total dunce when it comes to engines. My hubby is away for a few months (figures!) and I have found what could be 'my' Toyota RV. I have to travel a few hours to look at it and don't want to waste my time or the owners if it is a dud. So, here is what I know..

It's a 1992 Itasca Spirit with 106k km. The ad reads...

Clean, comfortable 22 foot motorhome Toyota cab, Winnebago coach. Toyota V-6, 3 liter engine. New fridge, 6 brand new tires. Generator. Tilt steering, cruise control, automatic with overdrive. 18 mpg. Always maintained, kept under cover. Manuals and receipts

The photos show what looks to be a very clean, well maintained unit. No apparent rust on the body. 

What should I be asking and looking for?  We currently own a large travel trailer, so I can deal with the appliance checks, sewer, etc. But, what should I be wary of as far as the engine goes? And the body? Help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to miss this one if it is a goodie! Thanks in advance.

Sue

Still don’t think the 6 can get that high mpgs. That’s what my 4 gets. My buddy’s V6 Winnie gets 12 to 13. Like jj says the mileage always goes up when you go to sell lol!

On 10/11/2017 at 9:55 AM, Derek up North said:

Also check with Toyota to see if the cylinder head gasket has been changed. There' a 'Special Service Campaign' for the V6.

So, Derek Up North...from what I can gather, if I take this RV into a Toyota shop, they can tell me if the head gasket has been done already, correct? If it hasn't, will they replace? Or does it actually have to blow before getting replaced? Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

If you're eligible (which a '92 should be) and it hasn't been done, it'll be changed before it 'blows up'. :)

Yay!! :D

28 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

ou could start by entering your VIN here:-

https://www.toyota.com/recall

I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate, but it's a starting point. Even if it shows nothing, I'd double check at the Service Dept of a Dealership.

I called my local Toyota dealership and they were unable to get anything on my VIN. The website too. 17 digits, double checked. Still nothing. Uhoh!

Here is a Toyota vin decoder try pickup and see if will process. https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Toyota

Edited by WME

You can't ask about a recall cause they won't find it. Special service campaign.  Print out the forms we have in pinned docs and show them what to look for or call toyota corporate. Never say the word recall ever when talking to them

Linda S 

10 hours ago, WME said:

Here is a Toyota vin decoder try pickup and see if will process. https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Toyota

Nope, nothin'. I called ICBC and they said the person who registered the rig for me should have gone and looked at the VIN on it, but they didn't. There may have been a mix up in the VIN # when it was copied down at some point, so I will be checking this tomorrow.

Have you compared the 'paper' VIN with the VIN on your dash?

This is the VIN for a 1991 Itasca I 'borrowed:- JT5VN94T1M0024275

The 10th digit (M) indicates it's a 1991. Yours should be similar except you'll probably have an 'N' (1992) instead of an 'M' (1991).

This is the VIN for a 1993:- JT5VN94T8P0029977  The 'P' indicates a 1993.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

P.S. Both VINs were 'borrowed' from Ebay listings.

I ran one of Derek's Vin numbers through the decoder and it worked, even to the point that the mileage was in KM. So you must have a miss type some where.

I picked up the RV today and the first thing I did was check the VIN. Sure enough, there was one digit wrong. It says on the registration that it is J1..., but the vehicle says it's JT... Also wondering about the M in mine...as it is on the registration it says it's a 1992, but it does have the 'M' I have a huge binder from Winnebago that came with it with all the manuals etc. It has a sticker on the inside cover saying the vehicle is a 1991. I will be visiting ICBC to get the papers corrected. 

I used the correct VIN in the Lookup and it has not had the head gasket replaced, so I will be getting that done ASAP!

Thanks for all your help!

There have been more verbal food fights with the owners and the DMV over the year of the Rv. Its very common for a RV mfg to buy a boat load of the C&C. and take a while to built the RV. So the chassis is one year and the RV was actually built the next year.

In Quebec, they go ONLY by the date indicated by the Toyota VIN, even if you're importing with an official Title from the US showing a later year. Not a bi deal as far as I'm concerned becaure 'worth' is tied much, much more to 'condition' than 'year' marked on the paperwork!

I assume this has already been sorted out with the OP's 'home since it's already been (presumably) registered in BC. I suppose that the current SNAFU with the VIN might have them take a 2nd look at things and possibly want to ammend the age.

I called ICBC and they want me to take it in to an insurance broker and have them do the adjustments. Maybe a year older will affect my insurance rates? 

Hey all, names Blake. new buyer here.. looking to go full time in the new year in my new toy. So far this forum has been awesome. So shout out to all of you educated folk.. 

Very interested in this 91 Toye V6 3.0 with 88k miles. No generator, Bath in the back. Seems there has been some water damage along the seal of the over cab, seems pretty normal for these. I haven't seen in person, but from what I'm being told the floor and roof is in excellent shape. I also know these don't really show bubbles so I want to be safe when looking over. Open to all pointers. 

I am going to check on the gasket recall in the AM. He sent me a video of it turning over and seemed incredibly strong. AC front and rear works, everything works. Asking $7k. 

Also any guesstimate on the cost of resealing the cab?, and gutting etc. just want to see my options here. 

Thoughts? Pointers? Blessings? Thanks all!! 

IMG_4980.JPG

IMG_5003.JPG

93C13419-DD58-4A87-BE87-DBC1EBAE43EF-7832-0000044B777306F5_tmp.png

ED5E211D-FD0B-47D0-86EC-1FE1D41D7002-7832-0000044B7E5C1911_tmp.png

EE8D9783-CC1D-465B-983C-EDB18FA78BB7-7832-0000044B82690572_tmp.png

D1672B51-1EB8-4521-88EE-676A3A55F3BB-7832-0000044B8AD0DBF4_tmp.png

IMG_5001.MOV

IMG_5008.PNG

IMG_5009.JPG

With a leak over the cab like that your due an extensive tear out and rebuild. Also resealing that leak wherever that may be. For 7 Grand I’d avoid it completely. Unless your like many other forum members here that like to do tear outs and rebuilds maybe offer him 5K and have $$ for repairs. It’s a buyers market right now and with that leak you have a lot of room to negotiate! Welcome and Good Luck!

Thanks for the response Mark. I'm actually really excited to tear this toye apart and make her real pretty again. We came to a deal of 5,500 given the floor doesn't fall in when I step inside... Picking up tomorrow! Will post pics as I move along this journey.  

Looking to be full time on the road by 1/1!  Fingers crossed.. 

Well there you go Blake! Good price also. Please post pictures as we Love pictures. Good Luck. I’m excited for you Man!

• 2 years later...

about to do a video call in hopes to purchase a '91 Itasca Spirit, V-6, 85,000 miles, 6-lug, no AC, no Generator. I am looking to purchasing my first vintage Toyota motorhome. Any information from you guys on what to ask or look for would be greatly appreciated! You are the experts. Thank you.

The V6 should have the timing belt changed and valves adjusted at 60k mile intervals. Both pretty big ticket items. A set of tires are pretty expensive too. 'Good condition' isn't good enough. The actual age is also important. Less than 6 years is the current advice  before replacing.

Prices are getting way too high. Wait for the right one. I looked at a lot of them for a bit more than a year till we bought ours. Remember they all leak and need work. Good luck 

Well since we don't know how much they are asking we don't know if it's priced too high. A roof AC will cost around 700. There should already be a hole the correct size in this camper and the wiring to install it. If you have some help it's not difficult to do it yourself.

Linda S

Is there an air conditioner there but it just doesn't work? I think that price is reasonable if in good condition

Linda S

You could negotiate down a some because of the cost of the timing chain. It's an expensive job and they should have already done it according to the  manufacturer

Linda, there was an AC. A vent is there now. Video chat went well. Tires looked great. Very clean. Engine sounded good. Timing belt had been changed and valves had been adjusted at the proper mileage. I am flying out to drive my Toy home.😁

Thank you, again.