Cab over rebuild 91 Warrior / Curved section over cab

Previous posts back in the spring focused on cab over rebuild using existing window/windshield. Back on the project & have decided to eliminate window and go back with solid Filon.

Winnebago used grooved styro foam board in the curved area above the cab. I have the original grooved foam glued to the curved plastic interior trim per the factory set up.  I'm having difficulty figuring out how to reassemble using the factory curved styro foam. Anybody have any experience with this?     

Thanks.   

Thanks Linda. Not too good on posting pictures. 

Trying to think "outside the box" I'm thinking of going with plastic lattice from big box using plastic u shaped ends to hold lattice at side rails. Result should be 2.5 ft. curved lattice to support filon. 

Any thoughts or better ideas?

Thanks. 

Edited by vrocrider

• 2 months later...

Hello. Happy New Year.

Back on this project. Hemet Valley RV in California makes what I need...filon laminated to scored plastic where sharp curve happens over cab roof and luan wood on the remaining area. Looking for a supplier closer to Alabama gulf coast.     

Thanks for any suggestions.

Yeah I can't find anyone near you either. You could try calling larger RV repair places and see if they have anyone that does that. Other option is to make the laminate panel your self. This company has a number of bendable substrates that might work and you could buy Filon and glue it on. There is a distributor list at the top right and several places in Alabama. Also possible you could find a company that does vacuum lamination and you could bring them the materials. Doesn't hurt to mention you belong to a club that does a lot of RV restoration 5000 strong and all the members will see their name and that they might be the only source outside of California.

http://www.kerfkore.com/products.html

Linda S

Not sure what you are doing but wiggle wood is an option.    I have had some success using 5.2mm luan from Home Depot/Lowes. Surprising how much it will bend with some patience.

Luan is also available in 1/8" which is even more bendable

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Utility-Panel-Common-1-8-In-x-4-Ft-x-8-Ft-Actual-0-106-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-833096/100535208

Sometimes refereed to as a "door skin"

What is the square footage of the (seamless) area you need to cover/wrap?

Thanks for research Linda!

Local Winnebago RV dealer told me they use a product available at Home Depot / Lowes call Thermo Ply made by Ox Building Materials. 4 x 8 sheet $13, 1/8 inch thick. Data sheet indicates it is a treated cellulose based product with foil on one side and a plastic type finish on other. Told used in the building trade as a backer board to brick. Water resistant ratings but not water proof. Stiff but flexible product. 

Total filon piece is 48 x 83. Gluing backing pieces consisting of 1/8 luan for 10 inches, Thermo Ply 17 inches, 1/8 Luan for 21 inches.  This piece will eliminate the window.       

Traveling in unchartered waters for me. Suggestions welcomed!