256bit

Replacing the walls and ceiling?

I have an '83 sunrader, rear dinette model. The ceiling is delaminating and the cabinets are falling apart. I want to rebuild the interior, however I don't have the space or time to strip it down to the fiberglass because I live in it full time. As I understand it, the plywood walls and ceiling are glued to the fiberglass. How is it best removed? And what did you replace your walls with?

I don't have any skills in carpentry and I'm wondering how long it will take as well. I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all and don't really know where to begin, any suggestions?

Edited by 256bit

Pictures would help those with experience answer better.

You can pm member sigmaz who is doing something like this and more right now, probably even on the same model sunrader.  search the facebook toyota motorhome club for pictures of folks doing this on sunraders AND in the do it yourself sub forum here.

I did something like this (and from the look of it, am doing and will be doing for a while), but not on a sunrader and in far less taxing circumstances. If its not water damage related, I would personally recommend repair instead of remodel. Especially if a. it needs to be used while repairs go on, and b. space, tools and skills are limited.

This is never an easy thing to do, especially for folks like me who couldnt tell apart a saw from a grinder, had no tools, have no closed up space to work in privacy and without the bother of weather, elements, disturbances. Might be a better idea to have someone with skills take a peek and advise.

On the other hand,  patience, some small tools, a bunch of luan ply and a lot of glue might be all you end up needing.

This is a tough one to answer without a photo or two.  Living in your Toyhome and rebuilding it at the same time can be done but without any skills it would be best to contact someone who has some experience in this.  I would suggest going to a local boatyard that has experience in building and rebuilding wooden boats.  A shipwright is used to doing this kind of work in confined spaces without tearing everything apart.  Even if you don't hire that person to do the work, just paying someone for an hour of their time to give you some suggestions on how to proceed and what materials to use could be well worth the expense.  Quite often decent repairs can be made with some well placed epoxy and a little ingenuity.

John

Find the post where iflyfish fixed his floor with epoxy. Do the same thing but up. you'll need to make some kind of brace to jack up the roof on inside, best in front and behind center vent area. Unscrew your cabinets completely and use the holes there too. Shore them up with something, boxes? Drill lots of little holes, inject 2 part epoxy, fill with wood plugs, then brace everything up tight as you can. Careful you don't drill through fiberglass. Use a stop. When it dries, cut plugs and sand smooth. paint over to hide. Sleep somewhere else while drying, at least one night. Don't want you to get caught huffing, or die. Re-screw cabinets right into wood plugs. My cabinets fell down and I re-glued that area under paneling. If I had seen his floor job first I would have been more comprehensive about it. Even my crappy job is still holding long time later

Linda S

New paneling is just way more work. You would need a shop and tons of skill. Easy is good

On 10/7/2017 at 9:14 AM, linda s said:

Find the post where iflyfish fixed his floor with epoxy. Do the same thing but up.

I think this is the post @linda s is talking about.