Hey again, 

i believe my front wheel bearings need adjustments. I noticed when replacing the shocks they rock back and fourth if I pull on them. Not to familiar with this job. Anything I should pay close attention to? Any recommended resources? 

Thanks!

What are you pulling on? There is a certain amount of wiggle on the front suspension. Even with things in spec.

Push/pull on the top and bottom of the tire, that shows wheel bearings, ball joints or A arm bushings

Push/pull on the front and back of the tire, that shows wheel bearings, tie rods, steering gear box and A arm bushings. ,

I pull my wheel bearings out to clean, re-grease, and adjust them about every 10,000 miles.  If you know how to do it yourself, it only takes about an hour.  There should be a very, very small amount of play on the bearings if they are done right.  My bearings on my '88 Escaper were replaced just before I bought it (receipt in hand) 5 years ago.  I have repacked them 3 times over 30,000 miles and they look and feel like new.  

Watch youtube and you will find several videos on how to do it yourself.  Even better is to have someone talk you through it so that they can let you know if they are adjusted right.

On 10/7/2017 at 9:34 AM, Bob C said:

I pull my wheel bearings out to clean, re-grease, and adjust them about every 10,000 miles.  If you know how to do it yourself, it only takes about an hour.  There should be a very, very small amount of play on the bearings if they are done right.  My bearings on my '88 Escaper were replaced just before I bought it (receipt in hand) 5 years ago.  I have repacked them 3 times over 30,000 miles and they look and feel like new.  

Watch youtube and you will find several videos on how to do it yourself.  Even better is to have someone talk you through it so that they can let you know if they are adjusted right.

Ok yes this is what I need to do. I do have friend helping me who has done the repacking but not on a toyo. 

On 10/6/2017 at 11:02 PM, WME said:

What are you pulling on? There is a certain amount of wiggle on the front suspension. Even with things in spec.

Push/pull on the top and bottom of the tire, that shows wheel bearings, ball joints or A arm bushings

Push/pull on the front and back of the tire, that shows wheel bearings, tie rods, steering gear box and A arm bushings. ,

I believe it’s called repacking the wheel bearings is what I’m trying to do. My mechanic said they just had a little to much wiggle.

I understand that the question was about repacking the front bearings. I hope it works. But if it doesn't I listed other things that cause "loose" front wheels

Years ago everything had tapered wheel bearings that needed periodic attention generally when the front brakes were done (30K usually) Obviously the brake caliper has to come off the inner bearing will not come out because the seal is holding it in (good ideal to replace it) it can be forced out with a stick of wood or out suitable device from the opposite end. Once the bearings are out wipe them down on a clean rag if there is just one flake of shiny metal on the rag the bearing is bad requiring a new bearing and race other wise it can be reused. Once they are clean take a wad of wheel bearing grease in the heel of your hand and force the grease into the bearing from the open end of the bearing with the other hand. Put the big bearing back in and install the new seal a block of wood enough to cover the seal works good with light hammer blows. Assemble the rotor and hub tighten the nut tight with nothing more than pliers no big wrenches. Back the nut off do it again then back it off until the cotter pin fits it has to have some play otherwise the grease will not stay in the bearing, reassemble. It's a dirty nasty job but a necessary one. If that does not reduce the "play" then you'll have to look elsewhere but the repack is now done one less thing to worry about.