Sticky Shifter on cold start 83 Rader, replace trans fluid maybe?

Hey all,

my shifter is tough to get in gear on cold start ups. I’m guessing that the transmission fluid needs replacing as I’ve never done it. 

Think that’s the case?

What is your recommendation on transmission fluid for an 83 Sunrader?

thanks! 

I believe that you need to lubricate the connections through-out the shifting system.  Spray some lube onto every connection from the steering column all the way to the transmission.  I think that you have some rust or buildup on these joints and it loosens up after being moved a bit.  Try unlocking the steering column and moving the shifter through all of the gear positions a couple of times to see if it gets easier after a couple times. 

One of my vehicles that sat for weeks without being used developed the same problem and it was resolved by lubrication.

On 10/7/2017 at 9:40 AM, Bob C said:

I believe that you need to lubricate the connections through-out the shifting system.  Spray some lube onto every connection from the steering column all the way to the transmission.  I think that you have some rust or buildup on these joints and it loosens up after being moved a bit.  Try unlocking the steering column and moving the shifter through all of the gear positions a couple of times to see if it gets easier after a couple times. 

One of my vehicles that sat for weeks without being used developed the same problem and it was resolved by lubrication.

Good idea I’ll do that

With a stick transmission the fault list looks sortta like this.

1. Low fluid in clutch master cylinder.

2, Bad master or slave cylinder.

3. Its just wore out.

4 The shifter ball is worn. Replace socket and seat  https://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/shifter-parts/heavy-duty-sockets

5. Bad throw out bearing.

6. Bad fluid is way down the list. It should be 80-90w

• 2 months later...

shifter is tuff to get in gear whin cold on a stick shift  . how cold are you talking at 20 below 0 I have had to use both hands to shove a 5 speed Toyota or a 4 speed Datsun in too low gear . gear oil can get some what thick at very low temps.