To Cover or Not to Cover that is the question

Iflyfish

My motor home will sit over the winter. There will be lots of rain and some freezing and snow. I am considering covering it for the winter. I will be winterizing it and repairing all seals before the deluge hits.

Do you cover your Sunrader for the winter? If so what do you use.?

Iflyfishinrainandsnow

Absolutely cover your Sunrader if possible.  A garage is best, or a carport but even a good quality fitted cover.  Even a plastic tarp will help keep the moisture off your rig.  I built an overly large carport for my '85 Dolphin to accommodate some other vehicles and it has probably extended the life of my Dolphin by several years.  Also, if you get a lot of snow there in Oregon, think about snow load weight on the roof...

John

If you can't cover, at the least put blocks under the front wheels so that water doesn't pool. I just made a 3 block high ramp out of 2x4s

On 10/6/2017 at 9:10 AM, WME said:

If you can't cover, at the least put blocks under the front wheels so that water doesn't pool. I just made a 3 block high ramp out of 2x4s

Interesting...what is the concern about water pooling?

Standing water will find ANY tiny hole and leak. Up here standing water turns into ice and that will break things

Oh, I see.  Blocks under two wheels so the vehicle will be slanted and the water can drain off of the roof. I thought that there was a concern for the tires or something. 

We are planning to overwinter in Montana and plan to set up an A-frame shaped tarp on top and yes, park the vehicle on a slant. 

10 hours ago, Bikemike said:

Oh, I see.  Blocks under two wheels so the vehicle will be slanted and the water can drain off of the roof. I thought that there was a concern for the tires or something. 

We are planning to overwinter in Montana and plan to set up an A-frame shaped tarp on top and yes, park the vehicle on a slant. 

RV refrigerators do not like being on a slant.

I made two short saw horses (foot high maybe) facing fore and aft one right over the rear vent. The cover was a tyvek one so I left the rear vent open under the horse. It worked pretty good I have a photo somewhere the snow level was up to the top of the hood made it look just like a tiny class A  the slant did not shed snow but made it easy to use the roof rake.

Garbage bags with foam peanuts work also, if making saw horses is to much for your skill level:P

53 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

..... while operating. :)

Do you plan to be living in it while you 'overwinter'?

Thanks, the frig won't be operating. No, we won't be living it. My wife and I are expecting our second child around the first of the year, so we are "nesting" in a mobile home this winter. We are both from the north and looking forward to a real winter for a change. Not migrating with the snow birds this year. 

4 minutes ago, WME said:

Garbage bags with foam peanuts work also, if making saw horses is to much for your skill level:P

I already have a wooden roof rack up there. It shouldn't be too challenging to run a tight rope above the camper between two trees and then secure some lumber wrap to it.