LED light strip wiring

YoungSage

Hello friends and electricians, 

I have an LED light strip that I want to instal in Louise, my 88 Sunrader. How do I wire it into my 12 volt system? Is this an easy DIY? Anyone done this before and have ideas? Thanks in advance. This is the package I got:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2F3KDQ/ref=asc_df_B00B2F3KDQ5197706/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00B2F3KDQ&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167141615005&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=33233298191203561&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033109&hvtargid=pla-314546532451

Gracias

Its 12v so just hook it up to a 12v source (existing light). Even though its LEDs there a bunch of them and that strip draws 60 watts, thats 5 amps.

Remember LEDs are not light bubs, they have a +,-. So hook them up correctly

Yes. THank you, WME. THe strip came with a remote but it seems that in order to use that I need to use the AC adapter and accompanying IR RGB control Box (small white box in the picture). It seems the wisest move would be to connect the strip directly to the wiring of one of my existing lights, use the light switch to turn it on and for go the remote and dimming capabilities. This strip apparently can be cut to create at least two strips out of the one long one so I suppose I could set up two of these. I will probably not use all of them as I don't believe I need 300 LEDs in here and, as you mentioned before, the draw from my batteries would be substantial. IMG_3158.thumb.JPG.3d4e792e0921e8b7c695a8b93c18f7a6.JPG

Your power supply has a 12v output. Look on the PS and find the drawing that shows +- on the connector. Find the same connector and wire it up correctly. Then just plug the converter and lights. Then the remote will be normal.

Hmmmm. The Power Supply does not seem to have any "+-" markings on it - just a regular looking PS. Might I have to tear into it? 

IMG_3159.JPG

IMG_3160.JPG

Yes its marked. The line that says... Output 12v 5 amp there is a diagram for the connector   -  outer ring  + inner pin/sleeve

=

Hmmmm. So does that mean I can attach the positive wire from the LED strip to one of the two parallel prongs and the negative wire to the third one - the ground prong? Or is it concerning the little cylinder plug on the other end? The one in the first picture? That tubular plug is supposed to go into the little white IR remote Control box. The second picture is the complete system I pulled from the box all connected. From LEft to right: Power supply, IR remote control box, String of LED lights.  

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3162.JPG

Or do I just cut that cylindrical plug off of the PS, wire that into one of my light fixtures, and plug it into the IR Remote box, and the IR Remote box into the lights? Another picture: THis one of the IR Remote Box: 

IMG_3163.JPG

You are going to need a voltmeter or continuity checker. You must find which wire is + - on the cord and the light fixture. Try a Radio shack and see if you can find a plug that matches. That way you don't have to hack up a good PS.

Once you get the power cord right then just hook up everything according to the instructions.

Cool. Sounds good. I'll get a Volt meter and take it from there. Thanks so much for your time and wisdom with this, WME. You've been most generous and I am grateful. 

Yep that will work.  Got any old phone, game, flash light chargers around the house?

Not much around the house really no. I think I am going to sacrifice the power supply (respectfully of course). 

Its a full moon tonight, dont forget the chicken :P

1. Get a voltmeter

2. Get a wirestripper

3. Get some quickconnect connectors.

As far as power goes the inside of the 12v connector is +, the outside is ground. You should carefully strip the shielding of the power supply cable, about an inch.  Stick quickconnects on each cable separately. Use the quickconnects to verify +/-. Then disconnect from 110v, cut at quickconnects and use them to wire in existing mh power. Again slap on the quickconnects, verify +/-, then stick in  the LED strip wires previously verified. If you have a harbor freight nearby, they sell 12v chargers cheap so you dont have to sacrifice your power supply (although quickconnects get it back for you), and multimeters (free with coupon), and quickconnect terminals too.